Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Master Shake

Number 1 in the hood!
I've run a thread search for headsets but I didn't see what I was looking for. So I am here to ask present and former ERJ pilots what they used for headsets. I've been using my own old school DC's and the time has come to downsize. What I want is something like this:

http://www.headsetsetc.com/mach1headset.html

Can anyone recommend some good headsets like this? That ERJ is noisy and I'd like the new headsets to cut out as much of that wind noise as possible. I'd also like the ability to hook my ipod in directly.

I haven't seen too many people rolling around in those type of headsets above in the ERJ. I'm using the bose, it hurts for 12 months with the payments but whatever. It is a vast improvement over the DC vise grip.

I'm using the Bose, and have no complaints. They are quiet as can be, just make sure to shut off your hot mic (and hope the capt. does as well) and all you'll hear is the sweet sound of silence. They are also good at getting rid of the annoying PPG window crackling noise in the XR's:)

tjsatter said:
Is the IPOD approved for cockpit use by your company?

tj

No, but then again neither are all of the books and magazines the Captains read. What's your point?

Master Shake said:
No, but then again neither are all of the books and magazines the Captains read. What's your point?

Really? I have no knowledge of such a thing. The Captains at my company never read unnapproved materials in flight nor do they use IPODS or other entertainement systems. When flying their full undivided attention is addressed to the plane and systems. When not flying they monitor the radios and navigation systems. There is never any irrelevant conversation below 10k. The point is I do not know how or if an IPOD can be connected to any headset in flight. What outfit are you at?

tj

An ipod or other media device can be connected to the headset that is linked in my original post. I've also heard from several other captains that other headsets like this exist. My primary concern is good sound quality and cockpit noise dampening. The ipod thing is a bonus at this point.

Master Shake said:
What's your point?

The point is to think about what that last few minutes of the CVR would sound like to your family and passenger's loved ones.

On the headset question....Telex 5X5 Pro III with custom earmolds and 6 filters with the gain properly adjusted.

And just recently an FO showed me a trick using rubber pencil grips sliced into rings that gives probably an extra 5-10 dB in noise reduction all in the frequency generated by the shock wave above your head.

Captain X said:
The point is to think about what that last few minutes of the CVR would sound like to your family and passenger's loved ones.

Thanks for the feedback. My music has never made it onto the CVR as I use ear buds. The headset I linked to indicates that your music is piped in your headset only. That's what I want. I would not want to use any device that pipes it into the CVR for the very reason you stated.

tjsatter said:
Is the IPOD approved for cockpit use by your company?

tj

Trans States is where I got my first adapter. Many a Capt. had one and used them all the time. Wasn't anything is the manual about not using it then, don't know about now.

Guess people just know not to bring theirs out around you.

Guess all those AM radio stations on the ADF are so much different. Nobody listens to those.......

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back