EMB-145XR guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

imacdog

Just a question for the EMB-145XR guys, if you load your plane to the max with fuel, will it vent out the wing? I watched what appeared to be an XJT plane with winglets taking off today, and I noticed what appeared to be fuel venting out near the right wingtip, in a fairly steady stream. This continued until I couldn't see the plane any more. I haven't seen this happen before with the CRJs and other ERJs that I've watched. Just curious if that is semi-normal on the XRs, which may be fueled for longer flights.

Last edited:
Just a question for the EMB-145XR guys, if you load your plane to the max with fuel, will it vent out the wing? I watched what appeared to be an XJT plane with winglets taking off today, and I noticed what appeared to be fuel venting out near the right wingtip, in a fairly steady stream. This continued until I couldn't see the plane any more. I haven't seen this happen before with the CRJs and other ERJs that I've watched. Just curious if that is semi-normal on the XRs, which may be fueled for longer flights.

the fuel vents are the same on the XR as they are on the ER/EP/LR models. Underwing vent, but its not at the tip, its further inboard toward the vortilons.

under normal ops it shouldnt be venting. sure you werent seeing a condensation trail or something like that coming off the wingtip?

It does vent fuel sometimes....although I've never heard of it happening during the takeoff roll.

This wasn't during the takeoff roll, at least from what I saw - I live about three miles from the departure end of the runway and saw the plane as it was flying over when I was walking in from my car. We are having beautiful blue skies today so that made it even more visible. The fuel wasn't coming out of the tip itself; it looked like maybe five feet inboard from the tip or so. Since our planes don't get loaded with fuel very often it isn't something I'm used to watching.

Venting enough fuel for you to be able to see from a few thousand feet away isn't normal....if that is indeed what it was.

the fuel vents are the same on the XR as they are on the ER/EP/LR models. Underwing vent, but its not at the tip, its further inboard toward the vortilons.

under normal ops it shouldnt be venting. sure you werent seeing a condensation trail or something like that coming off the wingtip?

That would be my guess. :D

I missed that part, sorry. The trail was definitely not coming off the tip itself, and it was only coming off one side. Anything's possible though, as I said, I haven't seen something like that before.

I wouldnt think that you could overfuel the wings of an XR since when they get full the fuel automatically goes into the ventral tank unless something fails. Also to completely fill the XR you have to pressure fuel everything and then top off by overwinging.

IMACDOG I see you work for Comair to I'm assuming you were in CVG, on our board someone posted about hearing that one of our planes from CVG-EWR diverted to CLE maybe this was it

Embrear has been looking into venting issues on ER's and LR's. The flapper valve sticks open when the aircraft is full of gas. Not sure if this is true of the XR as well. Had it happen once MEM to MIA. Stopped after about a minute.

Latest resources

Back