• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ear Clogging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With respect to taking any meds, the FAA doesn't approve any medications. There are specific medications that the FAA disapproves and disallows, but that doesn't necessarily imply that the FAA approves other medications.

The primarily guideline is that the issue of medication is often far less important than the condition for which it's being taken. The medication may have little effect, or no harmful side affects, but the condition may be a grounding item. Sudafed is a good example. While it may alleviate the symptoms of a headcold or sinus congestion, one may feel fine and still experience a sinus blockage or other problem. Having had this before and having been deaf for a month on one occasion, and having been to the ER on another, I can testify to the fact that it's nothing to play with.

See a doctor. You may have any number of concerns, but the only person qualified to determine the cause, and treat it, is a doctor. If you do see a doctor, remember that a physician who isn't an AME isn't qualified to advise you on what you can and can't take when flying. Use caution when taking any meds and flying, and generally, be conservative. The most important part of any preflight is the pilot, and that means you, and me. Staying on the ground is sometimes a more wise course of action than finding a way to get in the air. Good luck with the Doc!

Well guys, thanks a lot for the input.

I have heard of the peroxide thing before, but never tried it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

As far as the Q-Tips go, yes, I use them also maybe I'll cut back on that.

Thanks Again,

I was born with a "hole" in my eardrum. I suffered chronic ear infections all through out childhood. There was some simply surgery done to relieve the problem (that of moisture being allowed to stick around in my noggin) back when I was a little kid. No more ear infections and I have an unrestricted 1st class medical now. Go to your doctor. Don't be an idiot. You are risking your hearing and your career.

Latest resources

Back