• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

eagle jet international

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I still do not see why you would want to pay for a job of which you can be paid to do. Crazy!!!

SIC at AirNet and bring home 16K plus full benefits.

Icywings said:
I did the FO program with Tyler Aviation. It is similar to Eagle Jet. I am flying a Sa227AT/AC (Metro III and Merlin IV) for Ameriflight. We fly everything from UPS and DHL stuff to newspapers. You are doing EVERYTHING the paid pilot would be doing. You are just paying for the hours.

Some may say that is not a good thing to do. I bet only a CFI will complain about it. As they decided to go the CFI route. I was to old to go the CFI route and I wanted to get my time real quickly. I also felt the experience would be better.

Well here is how you can figure the overall value. How much does it cost to purchase 250 hours in a Cessna 172 these days? Now take the $15,500 it will cost you to fly the Metro (through Tyler) and divide that out by 250 hours. Hmmmmmm....... what is a better deal?

Single engine, recreation time or a 16,000 pound turbo-prop under Part 135, flying on a schedule and having to fly through whatever is sent your way (weather,etc..). In addition, it is actually cheaper then a 172.

Now I'll address the job interview....
I have three friends that did the program that ALL got hired with regionals after they did the program. American Eagle, COEX and just last week Comair.

What I will say is that if you do ONLY do it in the Metro. I have been told there is GREAT respect for people who lfy this thing. I don't see why, it is not that hard, but the systems are much more complicated then a BE-1900. Again, this comes from guys at AMF that have flown both. I woul d also suggest Ameriflight. They are the largest 135 operator. Therefore it is the closest thing to a "Real" airline you can find. It is mostly all scheduled so you really learn and gain a ton of experiance.

I can offer anything else you need just let me know

Good Luck.

Hey Icywings... I used to a captain at Ameriflight who flew with you EJI people. Ya know why most of us weren't b*tching at yas? Because Ameriflight paid us a babysitting fee in addition to our regular pay whenever we had an EJI character. Ya know what else? You are *NOT* a required crewmember at Ameriflight. The only FO's at Ameriflight that are required are the E-120 FO's and LR35 FO's.

Why people look favorably on Metro drivers at AMF? It's because they're SINGLE PILOT TYPED in the aircraft. Same with B1900. That freight is going with ya or without ya in those... not so in Brasilia or Lear.. but then again, those seats arent for sale..

Exactly the info that I received- Although I think they should charge a higher babysitting fee due to the sloppy flying skills and lack of overall experience BUT thankfully since they are not required on those airplanes all they can damage would be the "radios" IF they are even lucky enough to be "allowed" to operate them by the PIC.. Atleast the 120 and Lears which do require a SIC won't touch the "time buyers" and both pilots are highly qualified and "deserving" to fly that equipment. -

On a more serious note God Bless the families and victims of 9-11-01 as we as a nation mark the six month anniversary of the day that changed America forever.

Freight Dog

Exactly what do the EJI guys do besides load the boxes. Did you trade legs with them? Just let them watch the autopilot? Work the radios? Did Amflight give you guidance on how to handle these guys? Just curious.......

Boxes at BUR were loaded by ramp people. But at outstations, both of us would be loading/unloading. The problem with them is just that.... low time. Example... I had an EJI guy rotate a fully loaded Chieftain right at Vmc and overrotated it so the speed fell below Vmc despite the fact that i briefed him on company procedures to use Vyse as rotation speed. Mind you this is right on takeoff, 45 lbs below max gross weight.

AMF gave us some guidelines, but compared to PNF/PF duties, flows and checklists items for C/FO or PF/PNF like you get at 121 carrier.. nope. At least not in PA31. I'd show them how it's done and how the company expected us to get it done, and I'd watch them do it. The nice thing was that we could always deny having an SIC aboard, that's why the company would pay us that extra $6/hr for babysitting as an incentive to take them.

We had non-EJI SIC's as well who were actually employees of Ameriflight under Captain-Intern program who were shy of FAR 135 requirements to be PIC's in certain areas, so they'd come along. Those guys were generally WAY sharper than EJI people. We're talking say CFI's who were a tad shy of meeting the IFR FAR 135 PIC requirements.. They'd get paid to come along as SIC.

First of all it is time to get a few things straight.

FREIGHT DOG, you clearly have never flown the Metro and you were only a PA-31 Captain. I use that word ?Captain? pretty loosely since it is only a piston engine that you don?t need anymore training in then a Piper Seneca. I have always been told the guys who get to play captain in the little planes are always the ones that think they Mr. Big Stuff. I know a few like you, I am sorry you are so insecure that you have to try sooooo hard to be ?the man? hahahahah, pathetic! Oh one more thing, you did get paid extra to have an FO, but it was $5 not $6. So when you are trying a weak attempt at putting someone down at least do it accurately.

FYI to everyone else, the PA-31 First Officers don?t do the same training as the Metro guys. See, all Metro guys are in school together going through the same training. Everything the Captain learns the First Officer has to learn. In addition, I got the highest grade in my class of 4 captains and 1 other FO. I don?t care what you think of my skill. That is not the point. However, if we are all so stupid and ?Freight Dog? is so smart, why did the 2 First Officers get the top 2 scores in all of our classes?

The Metro is not the same program as anything else there. We don?t watch videos to learn how to fly an airplane as they do in the BE-99. We use a Level B Simulator at Flight Safety, CPT and 1 week of ground school. I heard the PA-31 is like getting checked out in something you would rent at your local FBO. Oh, I heard this from a PA-31 Captain at AMF.

Jaybird- How is that not putting in much work? Let me guess--- you are a CFI and you are a little jealous and pissed that you sat for over a year teaching people how to land a C-152 or do a short field landing and I got to fly the Metro by paying for it. See, I worked very hard to be able to afford to pay the money up front to gain experience and build time. I would bet if you had the money, you would have gone the SAME route. If you are not a CFI and I am wrong about you, I apologize! If I am right, Get over it!

350DRIVER?I am not taking anything away from anyone. They don?t hire into the right seat of the Metro. Yes, it can go single pilot and does quite often, unless it is dispatched as a 2 crew airplane. We are not buying a job as you so nicely put it; we are paying for experience and time building. We don?t just play with radio as you once again so nicely put it. We fly the airplane 50% of the time and the Captain fly?s it the other 50% of the time.

Starchkr ?Can you get me a job there? I am in, sign me up! Just email me the information and I?ll come down whenever they want for the interview. It appears you are pretty confident I can get hired there, so let me know. Thanks!

See guys, here is the deal. If you can tell me where a pilot with say 300-700 hours can go to build time cheaper then the way I am doing it and faster then the way I am doing it, please enlighten us all to your wisdom. I don?t mean be a CFI. I know that is an option that I simply didn?t want to take.

I find it funny how people are so ready to jump all over this program without having a clue how it works. One more thing to those who think they have an edge on me in an interview. I know for a fact from many people, that if we had the same flight time and I got mine doing it my way and you got yours being an instructor, well I would have a class date. I am not saying anything negative about being a CFI. In fact, there are many reasons to be a CFI. There were just none for me and there are many people out there that may not be a good teacher, don?t have the time, or simply don?t want to do it. What is wrong with that? Is it that your way was the best way because you feel it was so hard or since you hated it everyone else should hate it to?

I hope that if you add to this, you at least know what you are talking about.

135Pilot- Don?t listen to this crap, it is the right way to go if you can afford it and don?t want to be a CFI. Just do it in a Turbo-Prop!

"Jaybird- How is that not putting in much work? Let me guess--- you are a CFI and you are a little jealous and pissed that you sat for over a year teaching people how to land a C-152 or do a short field landing and I got to fly the Metro by paying for it. See, I worked very hard to be able to afford to pay the money up front to gain experience and build time. I would bet if you had the money, you would have gone the SAME route. If you are not a CFI and I am wrong about you, I apologize! If I am right, Get over it!"

Now that I have stoped LMAO.
1) Yes I'm a CFI.
2) Yes I could've paid for a job
3) Yes I successfully interviewed and earned a class position with AirNet.

Whats up with the icywings part 2 and all the ????? huh?

For some reason, I can not reply to a thread in the original Icywings. That is why it took so long to reply. I finally gave up and got a new name.

What were your times when you applied to Airnet and when did you do it?

When I originally applied I had less than 800tt. Oh yeah, they specifically look for CFI's. I guess my hard work paid off.

Latest resources

Back