• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Duty Rig??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So do you get duty rig ONLY if it exceeds your flight time (block) per month (say 80 hours)?

pgcfii2002 said:
So do you get duty rig ONLY if it exceeds your flight time (block) per month (say 80 hours)?

The short answer is yes, usually if you have rigs, if the rig results in more credit hours than block hours, you'll get paid for the higher number of hours.

I guess the easiest way to explain it is that block really matters for duty legality and your logbook. What you care about in terms of pay is credit hours. The rigs determine your credit hours, or what you get paid for.

People get confused when someone points out they got paid for 105 hours one month. They didn't fly (block) 105 hours, they credited 105 hours, through rigs (and day guarantees, etc.).

So depending on your contract, rigs, and your schedules, you could get paid for a lot more hours than you fly. That's why so many threads about hourly pay are somewhat pointless, while threads like this are great.

pgcfii2002 said:

nope....a rig is meant to guarantee a minimum amount of pay for a pilot. It basically assures that the guy will get money for days when he flies one leg and has a 38 hour layover. The company also is somewhat forced to build lines and trips which will maximize the efficiency of crewmember schedules in order to avoid paying a pilot for sitting on his ass doing nothing. This is all applied on a day by day (duty rig), trip by trip (trip rig) basis....

Now, if standard pay exceeds anything from a trip or duty rig, then the pilot gets standard pay. If the pay from a trip or duty rig exceeds standard pay, then the pilot gets the rig pay. Basically, the guy gets whichever amount is more.

An example from last week for me. I flew a 3 day trip. We have a 2:1 duty rig, and that's it. On the first day, we had 8 legs, 11 hours of scheduled duty time. The scheduled block time for the trip was 7 hours. The second day had 2 hours of block time for 7 hours of scheduled duty time. The third day had 6 hours of block time for 7 hours of duty.

on the first day, we'd get paid 5.5 hours (duty rig) or actual block time, whichever is greater. ... we get paid 7 hours

The second day is where we cash in a little bit. duty rig pay is 3.5 hours. block time is 2 hours. We would get paid 3.5 hours for doing 2 hours worth of work. Now, if we ended up sitting on the ground or getting delayed, etc. etc. and our block time exceeded 3.5 hours, we would get paid whatever that block time is (only because we get block or better also ... confused yet??).

The last day should be pretty self-explanitory.

crewmember pay agreements are probably the most confusing things out there. I don't think I'll ever figure it out 100%......

Last edited:
indianboy7 said:
nope....a rig is meant to guarantee a minimum amount of pay for a pilot.

Funny how we each gave him correct info, but I said yes and you said nope. :)

So now on this thread there are three different examples of how the rigs are applied: Per bid, per trip, and per day. There is a lot of complexity here, but it is important that everyone, take the time to understand not only their own contract, but how other companies do it too.

Makes sense......just worded differently between both of you.

Latest resources

Back