Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dubai is a wonderful place - except for women's rights -scary story!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, the UAE is full of extremists who want to burn unsuspecting American boys and girls at the stake! Those are crazy bastards just don't think like the rest of us, and they are scary people. If you're smart, you will avoid the UAE like the plague!

Just so long as our salaries stay high, I honestly don't give a rip what you ignorant racists think.

Dubai is a lot safer than most US cities, even for women. The rapists of this Aussie girl were not locals, they don't work in hotels. Seeing the uproar in India lately about rapes, it would not surprise me if the rapist were from there. And that you see in the local news here in the UAE occasionally.
A very active sex trade (government tolerated) centered around hotel bars and a few nightclubs doesn't make a rape story sound very believable, especially when it happened at a hotel bar.
Her story is most likely true, yet how often do we hear about rape stories that later on turn out to be fake and used as blackmail against a guy?

In Dubai I see women walk all by themselves all over the place at any time of the day / night. Like many other countries in Asia, or Europe. Do you see that in the US? No. Like one of the commenters: we always are in a big group, always someone doesn't drink and someone always watches our drinks and we go together to the bathroom.

Dubai is full of single young women there for work (without expats the place would not exist), who move around freely, 24 hrs a day. With 1.2 million people on a few square miles there are always going to be some problems, and the justice system might not be always in your favor. That goes for everywhere, even the US. How many rape cases are turned away by the police every year?

Going for a drink? No problem. Don't create a scene for which the cops need to be called, and don't drive (maybe this policy should apply to the US....).

There should be no reason why a women should have to wear a black tent (so men don't get exited). Yet they wear perfume and make-up (to make themselves more attractive to men). Maybe it is time for these women to stand up for themselves. If their husbands can walk around in t-shirts from Ferrari or some British football club, Armani shorts and Gucci shoes, I think so should she be able to. I hope some of the local young women in the UAE see how foreigners dress, and change their own patterns. There are quite a few muslim countries where women don't cover themselves (in black), yet somehow we don't perceive them as being muslim.

RJCAP: I think that article hits the nail pretty well on the head. Going around the world and visiting / living in places off the beaten tourist path gives you a different view on things, unless you are the hotel hermit like I know some.

A small amount of research on your part would reveal that while associated with Islam, in fact the covered women was cultural long before Islam existed....go to the mountains of Mexico and many other place...you find the women covered in black there as well...but they sure ain't Muslims

A small amount of research on your part would reveal that while associated with Islam, in fact the covered women was cultural long before Islam existed....go to the mountains of Mexico and many other place...you find the women covered in black there as well...but they sure ain't Muslims

call black veils culture if you like....middle east, mexico..I dont care where...

humans covered with black skin were once associated with slavery....and they liked it NOT one bit

women compelled by "culture" to defer to men are as enslaved as those in chains...it they don't realize it, it's no less real...

I heard in Dubai a teacher raped a student 14 yr old girl, the girl committed suicide, and then the teacher got a 30 day prison sentence. Oh wait that was here in America. Nevermind.

Latest resources

Back