Does Australia hire Americans?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

learpilot55

Does anyone know which airlines hire Americans in Australia? Also what are the difficulties with getting a work visa and do they all require an ATPL. I have read the articles on here about how desperate they are for pilots and that they are going to Europe to find pilots so just wondering if they look at Americans.

Before this disintegrates into in the usual xenophobic FI farce.................

Let me say that sure, they'll hire US citizens; As long as you have Australian residency, have passed the 3 exams and flight test required to be granted an Australian ATPL.

They are desperate for pilots at the S340/DHC8 level but not because there aren't enough. It's more that guys aren't prepared to pay for their types (FO's require a TR) and then accept the below par pay. Qantas/Jetstar and Virgin Blue are poaching all the guys at the regionals.

There are better options throughout Asia/EU, which is why most Aussies are flying for the EU or Asian carriers.

Australia, along with every other country on Earth will hire American pilots as long as they meet the exact same requirements that American companies require from non-Americans.

1. The right to live and work in that country.

2. A license issued from that country.

As for obtaining a work visa, again, the requirements are no different than those required for non-Americans in the USA. If you weren't born in Australia, you pretty much have to marry an Australian. No different to US legal immigration requirements.

European requirements are the same, however certain Asian airlines will hire foreigners without local residency as professional guest workers, usually for a specified, but renewable time period.

Good luck, pprune is a better source of information on working outside the US than FI.

Hold up right there...

And don't forget to be competitive you will have to pass all 7 exams for the issue of an Australian ATPL. You can convert to the license by a simple airlaw pass but local operators (majors) will not hire you without these exam passes.

I am an Australian citizen with a US ATP and Aussie CPL Instrument etc and am having to do this as noone will loook at me beyond Saab and Dash level.

Hey Oz Bush Whacker, I also have Australian citizenship but typed and rated in the US and have run into a brick wall when it comes to converting over to AUS. Any point in the right direction to begin the process would be a help. Web sites ?

Southern,

Check your PM's

Latest resources

Back