Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone know what the UAL min reqs will be?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just like UAL of old, CAL of old, DAL, AA, and just about ANY other legacy that didn't previously/doesn't require TPIC.

Legacy carriers, where progression can be slow, can afford to take on people without PIC time, or jet time. Heck, they can even take people directly from the military who can't talk on the radio and who would get lost at ORD.

It's those shaky startups that pay crap (except in the 1st year) and probably can't offer a career that require (and need) PIC, time in type etc.

Legacies may say they are hiring captains. Well, not necessarily.

Look, the military takes people with NO EXPERIENCE as do some of the largest airlines in the world.

It's all about what they want. The inexperienced can be conditioned and molded. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks and no chief pilot wants to hire his replacement (unless he's planning to retire real soon)

Legacy carriers, where progression can be slow, can afford to take on people without PIC time, or jet time. Heck, they can even take people directly from the military who can't talk on the radio and who would get lost at ORD.

It's those shaky startups that pay crap (except in the 1st year) and probably can't offer a career that require (and need) PIC, time in type etc.

Legacies may say they are hiring captains. Well, not necessarily.

Duh dude....

I am not sure why my post is not here but I must say for those of you who think this argument is getting old-I see your positions at the airlines really makes this a non issue for you. But for those of us at regional airlines who are trying to get out and to a major-this is a huge factor. At this point, because my regional I am working for is terrible-I will go anywhere even if its just a short stop on my way to a major. That being said, its VERY frustrating to see first officers at the regionals getting hired with little or no PIC at places I have applied. One would think serving 14 years in the Military, having a college degree, a couple thousand hours of PIC would allow me to leave to places that have mins a lot lower than my qualifications but............ Try to understand someones frustration and why they are frustrated at a situation before saying "the argument gets old". Two wrongs dont make a right. That being said, I have a few friends who plan to take advantage of this and are not afraid to say it. They are great pilots and highly qualified and I wish them all the luck-but in the case of shear percentages of groups who are applying and how many in that group who will get hired-its just unfair. As I said-two wrongs do not make a right.

XJ,
If what you are doing isn't working try a different path. Have you tried Emerald Consulting? They seem to have had success in helping potential candidates with the hiring process.
Everything listed as a requirement is just a box to check, a filtering process. In 3 years the regionals will be hiring anyone who hasn't had multiple felony convictions within the last 3 years. the majors are not requiring any PIC because the quickest legacy newhire upgrade is probably a decade into the future, plenty of time to mold the candidate. At this time the selection will focus on the personality and quality of the candidate, PIC requirement will just limit the selection pool, hence the lack if requirement. Competitive experience levels will be measured by the volume and quality of your applicant peers.

Last edited:
That won't open up a thing. Min requirements have nothing to do with what they will be looking for.
Tell that to a few thousands pilots who now meet the requirements to apply when previously they didn't. I think it did "open it up a bit."

If you're saying the company will ignore their apps so it's futile to apply, I guess time will tell. At least they've got a shot at it.

Last edited:
Tell that to a few thousands pilots who now meet the requirements to apply when previously they didn't. I think it did "open it up a bit."

If you're saying the company will ignore their apps so it's futile to apply, I guess time will tell. At least they've got a shot at it.

I'm not saying the mins does not open the door to apply, I am saying the mins are just that mins. It does not open the door to be accepted when you are competeing against folks with much more experience. Why would it?

Latest resources

Back