Do you count FE time in your total time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

redsoxfan

just wondering if other pilots include flight engineer time as total time on the resume and when they fill out applications that dont specifically address FE time how they address that time? there are some airline applications that say how much flying do you have in the 6, 12, 18 months without asking if it was PIC, SIC OR FE time? in my case i was a FE for that past 18 months so do you put your FE time over the past 6,12,18 there. if you put in zero's there, the airline will think you where not employed as a pilot? thanks in advance:)

Don't do it.

FE time is not flight time so do not include your FE time as time flown in past 6, 12, or 18 months. I think the airline would consider that to be misleading. The airline should be able to tell you were employed as a crewmember by looking at the previous employment section of the application.

The truth is you put zeros in there because you weren't employed as a pilot, you were employed as an FE.

I do not put FE time in my total time. I wish I could, I've got 1100 hours of it, but every application that I've seen puts FE time outside of total time. In addition, the only reference to total time that I can find in the FARs is in the logging of pilot time. I think it's understood that when a company asks you for total time, they mean total pilot time.

It's too bad. I'd be a bit more marketable with 2700 hours.

I agree about not listing FE time as part of the total time. Unfortunately. The additional 1500 hours would make me marketable to a lot more companies that just throw my resume away.
I do put it on a resume and point out that FE time is not included in the total time.

In response to redsoxfan, I would say yes! My logbook final column says "Total duration of Flight". It does not say total pilot flight time or total time.

If you operate as a flight engineer from point a to b and it took 1 hour, I don't see anything wrong with entering 1 hour in the total duration of flight column. The other columns should explain what type of flying and seat position, etc.

In addition, the FAR's require a flight engineer to log 50 hours of flight time as a flight engineer within the past 6 months to maintain currency. What better place to do this than the Total duration of Flight column.

Also, FAR 61.159 (c) states that "A commercial pilot may credit the following second in command flight time or flight-engineer flight time toward the 1500 hours of total time as a pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section:(iv)Does not exceed more than 1 hour for 3 hours of flight engineer flight time for a total credited time of no more than 500 hours."

According to the above regulation, If a flight engineer is a commercial pilot, then it is considered flight time. Since logbooks don't have a column for flight engineer flight time than the total duration of flight column should suffice.

Hell, the logbook's purpose is to record minimum currency requirements. After all, a logbook is nothing more than a "book in which details of a trip made by a vessel or aircraft are recorded." (Random House, 2000)

As far as using it on a resume use your best judgement

Tri-holer wrote that 1500 hrs of FE time makes you more marketable!! As a pilot or an FE?

That's like saying pilots should get flight time for watching guys fly the sim.

Anyway,

Go Sox!

I completely agree with Viking !!

F/E time can be logged by 1/3 for each hr as pilot, but may not exceed 500 hrs. total.

I personally have 300 hrs f/e time and put it toward my ATP. 1200 pilot plus 300 f/e time will allow me to get my f/e early.
This is all legal and it's in the FAR's under part 121 crew members.

As far as being on my resume I have PIC, SIC, MULTI-TURBINE, F/E , Etc..........

I put it on my resume, but note it to the side.

I have been employed twice with the F/E time on my resume and on my application under 18, 12, 6 months.

You might not of been a pilot, but you were in deed a required cockpit crew member, so take advantage of it.

72Longhorn

CCDiscoB
I think you misunderstood what I said. My additional 1500 FE hours would make me more marketable if they were actual flying hours instead of plumbing time.

As a wise man once said, Being an FE is like watching two people have sex. It is kinda neat to watch but you would much rather be up there doing it yourself.

Latest resources

Back