Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do booster seats for short pilots need FAA approval?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm just of the opinion that anything necessary for the pilot/crew to operate the aircraft/flight controls safely should meet some legal requirements.
Items such as:
  • rudder pedal blocks/extenders
  • booster cushions/seats
As stated earlier. I shudder if I see somebody carrying Aunt Florie's sofa cushion to the aircraft.

Before 9-11-01 there was a security rule that stated a passenger going through airport security was able to carry on three golf clubs but it was illegal to carry on four golf clubs. I asked a Manager of an FAA Security office that I knew why three and not four golf clubs……. His answer was:

Ya gotta draw the line somewhere and three was the line……..

And if Aunt Florie's sofa cushions fit, then thank her and try not to spill any avgas on them. It is really hard to get the smell out and will make the living room smell like an airport.....

I had a student that brought Boat - life preserver - cushions. The size was perfect in the C152 and gave us an edge if we had a water landing.

Last edited:
A'right, I'm not looking to turn this into a crusade.
Just trying to make a point y'all.
I like those maritime cushions also, they look like they're stab and shrapnel proof also.
You never know what I'm going to grab next time I loose my cool with Maverick over there.

If I knew of a requirement I would give you the reference. To my knowledge a non attached seat pad is "uncontrolled".

Latest resources

Back