Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do booster seats for short pilots need FAA approval?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tired Soul

Plowing at FL370
As the question states; I always cringe when I see people toting "sofa" style pillows around for flights in light SE aircraft.

Is there any FAA guidance as far as approved booster seats?
If I buy through Aircraft Spruce am I in the clear?
To make it very clear, I am not talking about a child seat or kiddie booster seat but a booster seat for vertically challenged individuals.

Like this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/seat_0cushions_0generic.html

Thanks, but my question wasn't clear.
It's not about installing but about the boosterseat having a "approved for aviation use" tag or DOT tag or something similar.

Layman's question; can I legally use a pillow from my sofa or do I have to use a booster cushion from one of the aviation suppliers assuming it has been tested and approved.

Does it need to be tested for crash impact since it is like a seat "addition".
Does the material need to have the same fire retardant "grade" as other interior materials?

Can I use this:
largeimage-7298.jpg

Or does it need to be:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/seat_0cushions_0generic.html

Thanks,

Last edited:
To my knowledge there is no approval required if the device is not installed (attached) to the aircraft. Your flight bag is not approved.... The bag lunch you bring is not approved... :)

There should not be any problem if the flight is under Part 91. If under 135 or 121, your company manual may prohibit its use.

Just find it curious that a child seat, which is not installed either has to meet all the requirements and a pilot (in control of the airplane) booster seat cushion does not have to be.
Why is the security/safety of a useless passenger more inportant that the pilot's?

From CFR 1:

Appliance means any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller. (My bold and underlined).....

An Appliance needs to be part of the aircraft certification (CERT), a TSO, or an approved modification (MOD). It also needs to be maintained in accordance with the CERT, TSO, or modification. Your "booster" seat is not installed, part of the aircraft cert, or an approved MOD. You can also use a rolled up jacket, The New York/Seattle/or New Orleans (city of your choice) sunday paper with coupons, or a used pizza box as a booster seat with out any approval except the user....... I would eat the pizza before seat use.......:D

P.S. a child seat is attached by the seat belt.

So I tell my students to put their flight bag on the RH seat and secure it with a seat belt when they fly solo XC.
Same as what I do. So my flightbag is now secured to the aircraft as the child seat is attached to the aircraft.
So my bag now needs to be approved?

I find it hard to believe there is no guidance/legal opinion on the use of something as important as a booster cushion for the crew.

Slightly off topic maybe but rudder pedal extensions killed aerobatic pilot Vicky Cruse;
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications...10/zivko_aeronautics_inc_edge_540__n540bw.cfm

If you put cushion or pillow in the search box at the NTSB website you get a couple of accident reports where pillows were a causal factor in the crash.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back