Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BEfly

Regular User
http://atwonline.com/regulation/dot-tentatively-approves-delta-virgin-transatlantic-tie

Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic Airways have received US Dept. of Transportation (DOT) backing for their planned transatlantic joint venture (JV).

The deal, which was announced *****Dec. 11, 2012, had already been cleared by the US Dept. of Justice***** and the European Commission. However, DOT has the final say on whether the proposed transatlantic JV gains antitrust immunity, similar to that enjoyed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia.

“We tentatively conclude that, overall, the alliance will be pro-competitive,” DOT said in a regulatory filing. The investigation revealed no route overlap between the two airlines and concluded that the deal will strengthen US-Europe and US-UK inter-alliance competition.

Delta and Virgin also “made a strong showing” of public benefits from the deal, including the potential for strengthened schedules on their network. “We tentatively conclude that antitrust immunity is necessary to achieve most of these important benefits,” DOT said. “We tentatively conclude that the potential benefits of the application outweigh any potential harm.”

There is a 14-day period for comments.

Delta and Virgin plan to coordinate on network planning, revenue management, pricing, sales and other functions through the metal-neutral transatlantic JV, which will include revenue and profit sharing.

Delta is already a member of SkyTeam’s transatlantic JV; the two JVs will be managed separately.

The primary reason DL bought into Virgin (49% share from Singapore Airlines for half of their original purchase price) was to mount an attack against the AA/BA alliance on the NYC to LHR route. AA and BA together have 11-12 daily flights, and DL could only get 3 or 4 daily flights on the route. Now, with VA, The combo has 9-10 flights a day, which means the JV can compete for lucrative business contracts between these two very large cities and business centers.

Btw, Dalpa has not signed off on this JV, and looking at the AF/KL/AZ JV and how the DL pilots are short on the required number of transatlantic flights spelled out in the original agreement, (they have until next May to comply, so everyone is still watching) it will be very interesting to see how it plays out. Pressure is on for Dalpa, especially since the in house union, the DPA, is waiting for an opportunity to get a new vote, and DL pilots are looking for better terms and for compliance on the first one.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I thought you were headed to Europe for a wonderful trip. Are you there now? An amazing amount of post in a very short time.

I thought you were headed to Europe for a wonderful trip. Are you there now? An amazing amount of post in a very short time.

He is. In a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 Boeing 777. Dual monitors allow him to fly to Europe and post online at the same time.

I said THIS WEEK, and I am senior enough to hold a holiday off. The amazing thing you haven't figured out though is via new technology, you can actually use a smart phone IN EUROPE..... Wow! Maybe your reception is bad in Amarillo, but each hotel in Europe either has wifi in your room, or a crew room that has it.

But, worry not Red, my 3 day Europe trip is coming, I can't wait. Enjoy Harlingen!

Bye Bye---General Lee

He is. In a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 Boeing 777. Dual monitors allow him to fly to Europe and post online at the same time.

In your shoes, I'd be flying more, that infant of yours needs more 529 money for college, and if your airline somehow survives the next decade, you probably still won't be able to afford it on your own. Pick up more trips....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I said THIS WEEK, and I am senior enough to hold a holiday off. The amazing thing you haven't figured out though is via new technology, you can actually use a smart phone IN EUROPE..... Wow! Maybe your reception is bad in Amarillo, but each hotel in Europe either has wifi in your room, or a crew room that has it.

But, worry not Red, my 3 day Europe trip is coming, I can't wait. Enjoy Harlingen!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I realize you can use a smartphone in Europe, but why would you? This is were your persona falls apart. Aren't you supposed to be out having dinner in a fine French resturant and checking out the Louvre? Maybe that virtual tour on the computer works for you.

Enjoy Dakar d-bag, meanwhile I'll be at home after being gone.....all of 2 days..haha.

I realize you can use a smartphone in Europe, but why would you? This is were your persona falls apart. Aren't you supposed to be out having dinner in a fine French resturant and checking out the Louvre? Maybe that virtual tour on the computer works for you.

Enjoy Dakar d-bag, meanwhile I'll be at home after being gone.....all of 2 days..haha.

Ahahahaha! Dakar is only from the NYC base, not ATL. You guys ALL can go to LBB and MAF, and only you Red get sick from the quesadilla at the hotel bar in LBB......(we all heard)

And, people don't call people from Europe? ( you use Skype). Is it too far for someone like you to call back to the US? If you are calling, can't you use the wifi to look at something you enjoy? (FI). Sure you could Red, but you never will. Nah, you LUV the Texas Shuffle too much. Enjoy it Red. 2 days, 12 legs. That would absolutely stink.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back