Dilemma

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

><><><

I've got a dilemma. . . I've been trying to get on with a regional for the past year or so, but with no luck.
Recently got offered a deal to FO on a Citation with a corporate flight department. Doesn't pay well, and I'll have to move.
Should I hold out for the regional thing, or go for the corporate gig.

No flames, please

I would take it, but then keep pursuing the regionals. Citation time would like nice in your logbook. Also, what is the upgrade time like at this Citation place? If it is not bad (hour requirements, seniority, etc), you may want to stay to get your turbine PIC then go for a national (Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue, etc).

If you don't have any connections, letters of rec, walk ins, at the regionals, it could take some time with 1200 hours because there are plenty of other guys out there with more time than that. Also you will have to take in consideration the cost of moving, living at the new place, etc.

There are many factors, as I am sure you know. But I would take it if I were you. Flying right seat in Citation beats instructing.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, especially in this pilot market. Will they type you? If they will, it's a no-brainer.

With the relatively low time, go with the Citation job. The turbine time will help out in the long run. As for pay it can't be much worse than what most of the regionals are offering.

Definitely take the citation job. You dont really know when the regionals will be hiring again...although some are taking a few people.

As for the money, like the others said, its probably comporable to what you would make first year at most regionals. Its good experience, and it keeps you flying.

If you have not been able to get on within the last year, then be glad this came your way!! Maybe its a sign;)

1900cpt

I was in a similar situation as you (about 5 years ago) and went the corporate route. I never regretted it. After the first year, I went to a better company, that typed me as a co-capt., and by the second year, I was a full captain. I had a blast there, and got a lot of great experience.

Now, I am at a National. I know that I made the right choice- especially after talking to many former regional guys. I escaped a lot of the dog-doo at the regionals and still ended up here with money in the bank and a corporate jet type to fall back on if another 9/11 or similar airline problem occurs. The jet PIC time never hurts, either.

Good luck! Take the job,and don't look back. Move over to the airlines when the time is right. Don't stay topo long at the first corp. operator if they don't treat you right- there are a lot of good companies out there, and some pretty crappy ones. The same holds true for the regionals, BTW.

Could I even log SIC time in a Citation? According to the Regs, one can only log SIC time in an aircraft requiring two pilots. I don't think the Citation requires two pilots.

Also, a friend of mine told me that the airlines don't like part 91 SIC.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I can't answer your question but I would think the company is going to send you to FSI/Simcom/etc. for training. Maybe they'll spring for a type rating. If you have a cool captain, he'll let you fly some and then you can log that as PIC.

I know of someone who started as a single-pilot Baron pilot. The company then bought a CJ but insurance requires two pilots (even though the plane is certified for 1). He brought a buddy on board and they both got type rated. Now they alternate legs, although he always flies from the left seat.

If you read the regs, you will find that all turbojets require an SIC. I am not completely knowlegeable about Citation Ops. never having operated one, but it is my understanding that some Citations can be operated single pilot, but only if certain criteria are met. The aircraft has to be configured for single-pilot operation, with all required items operational, and the pilot has to be authorized to operate single pilot, and must be current as a single-pilot operator,which is different than being current for two-pilot operation.

Regardless, I believe that the PIC can decide whether or not to utilize the SP provision. I know that I wouldn't. Single-pilot Ops have a incident/accident rate that is 35% worse than two-pilot operations, which is why insurance companies tend to prefer two-pilot ops.

As for your question about how "airlines" feel about Part 91 jet SIC time?

Well, when I had 1500tt/300MEL (all piston), I couldn't get anyone to interview me in 1997. After I got 300 hours of jet SIC time, I had interview offers from PSA, Allegheny, COEX, TSA and others. I turned them down for a good 135/91 co-capt job, got my type, became a 135 Capt., and the rest is history. Oh, yeah,
made very good money in corporate and got good jet experience.

Good luck, but don't think that a regional is the only game in town. And buying right seat time? Well, fuggedaboudit.

Latest resources

Back