Digital Camera

jaybird

Total Time
3.0+
Does anyone know of any good ones for around $300. I know nothing about them.

Last edited:

RSN

Total Time
enough
Try the HP 215 digital camera. It is a 1.3 megapixil camera for about 130.00. Thakes crisp clear pictures with a little TV on the back to see them. Most 1.3 megapixil cameras are over $200 dollars. Comes with some good software to.

Very highly rated, a quality product, not a cheapy camera

You get a lot of bang for your buck with this camera. Wal-Mart and OfficeMax carry the camera.

RSN

Av8tor

Total Time
12K+
I have the Kodak DX3900 3.1MP and its great! $399 They have a 2.1MP for $299

navigator72

Total Time
1700+
Try this

I just got a Sony DSC-P50 last week for $300.00
I haven't atken it flying yet but it seems to take good shots. It is a 2.1 megpixel.

Vavso

Total Time
Fuji finepix 1300

around $129 and awesome !!! 1.3 megapixel with 2x zoom Get NIMH 1700 mAH recharegable batteries They will save you big money ( AA) size !!

flyboysgal

from the gang at home
Total Time
plenty
fujifilm has promise

I spent a lot of money and bought a good camera a couple of years ago and I will tell you what to look out for...
NO FANCY BATTERIES!
Fuji is cool. Bring a set charged and a set in the camera and a pocket sized plug in charger. Batteries go like water and if you have some oddball (say CANON) with a propriatary charger, you have to get $50 batteries and keep charging them or throw out $11 replacements which give like two hours on a skimpy day!

MEMORY.
Since you are bargain hunting, be sure you are happy with how you store the pictures. I hear Sony Macivas have floppies, which seem nice, but store small.
Be sure you can use the usb or port you need with it. I went out of town and luckily had a USB computer available to me. I got to download to a computer and make my own CD's but on the road it can be really inconvenient to haul stuff to down load. If you plan long pretty trips buy a big memory unit.

Digital vs Optical zoom.
IF it says digital, all it does is crop the same picture smaller, not actually optically zoom in. IF you have a choice go for the higher optical zoom. You will get better quality.

IF you are computer literate or travel with a laptop they are cool. If it seems like a nice easy toy you are wrong. They have a HIGH fidget factor, are not all that keen for SNAP shots, because they have to think to get the picture taken.

If you are into webcams, they are pretty cheap but a real wiz would be very appreciated by the spouse if you hooked it into the netphone and said HI now and then to the significant housebound.
Like I said, I don't fly....

jaybird

Total Time
3.0+
thanks for the input. i went with the cannon powershot a10. your right about the batteries. it takes nice pictures though.