Departure procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CE-560 DRVR

I have several questions in regards to departures out of airports such as Aspen. It seems there are many different theories as to how depart this airport. The minimum climb gradient departing ASE is 7.5%. Of course this is for an IFR departure. I am wondering if I choose to climb in VFR conditions and visually avoid the highest terrain, what kind of second segment climb gradient is required? For the aircraft that I fly, we would have to depart with little fuel as well as no passengers to be able to attain the 7.5% climb gradient on one engine. Can someone please point me to the regulations that dictate what requirements must be met (both first and second segment climb) for a part 91 operator to depart an airport such as ASE and climb in visual conditions.

CE560Drvr,
There is a really good msg about DP's on an earlier post. Perhaps 2 to 3 weeks ago.
Sam

A published DP is mandatory in visual or IMC conditions. If you dont want to or cant comply with a published DP you need to state so to ATC and request a visual departure or depart VFR.

Flydog,

I believe that you are not completely correct, A DP is not required if you are flying under Part 91 only. There is no requirement to fly a DP in Part 91. I think that we can all agree that it's a VERY good idea in IMC, but it is not required. Under Part 135 and Part 121, it is reqired. I don't have time to look up the regulatons right now, but I believe that you will find the requirements in Parts 121 and 135 and the operations specifications. I don't think you will find any requirement to fly a DP in Part 91.

regards

As I understand it a published departure procedure is an instrument clearance and is applicable wether it is IMC, visual, 91 or 121. A clearance isnt predicated on the type of operation or the weather. However you can ask to deviate from the clearance if unable to comply

You may be referring to the 135 requirement under 8400 that DP climb gradients must be achievable single engine. This is not required under Part 91 so your only restriction under 91 would be two engine climb

Flydog,

Off the top of my head, I don't think that a departure procedure is an implicit part of a procedure. If ATC expects you to fly a published departure procedure, it will be stated explicitly in the clearence. I'll look into it, but I think that is hte way it works.

regards

Youre correct. If its in the clearance given by ATC it must be flown. If you are simply given radar vectors or some other clearance then it doesnt apply

Latest resources

Back