Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to upgrade MD-88 & MD-90 fleet with enhanced navigation and FMS improvements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to burst your bubble guys... We at AA have the IS&S displays on about half of the 75/76 fleet (referred to as MAUI-Flat Panel displays.) In a word - they suck.

- Attitude indicator is TINY.
- If you have weather or terrain selected on the ND, any airports/TCAS traffic/VORs, etc, block out portions of the weather/terrain depiction.
- The FMCs do not talk to the screens. Meaning, when your takeoff data uplinks on the FMC, you still have to manually input V-speeds for TO/LDG (as opposed to the Boeing displays which automatically put the V speeds in on the airspeed tape.)
- Turning on the weather radar involves no less than 3 switches.
- There is no "rate change" on the vertical A/S and altimeter tapes. In other words, as the numbers increase/decrease, they don't slide up or down - they just change numbers. So it's hard to detect a rate of change. (vs Boeing, where the numbers slide up/down.)

Maybe IS&S will have a different setup for the MDs, but based on the pics, they look the same as ours.

Having dual GPS on the MDs is kinda cool, though! And overall, it's an improvement over the standard MD panel. I just think IS&S could have done a much better job (but it woulda cost a lot more $$$.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up AA.

So, you assume Skywest will still be around in 10 years? You never know...

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's my point... And the seniority scam outsourcing represents - But I'm trying not to hijack another thread-

So, you assume Skywest will still be around in 10 years? You never know...

And this avionics upgrade shows DL is sticking with domestic mainline service, along with incoming 717s and 739ERs.

Bye Bye---General Lee
Edsels getting 8 track players, I guess your Monkees/Partridge Family tapes will become valuable to some one other than you and your mom....

And right on cue.....PBR chimes in reminding us how old she is.

Bill, can't see this, but can somebody please explain there are better insults than calling someone a girl.

Latest resources

Back