Delta to retire 7600 pilots in next 15 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did that last year

Yeah, maybe. I only know of two regional FOs who were hired, both were female. If there are male regional FOs hired at Delta, they had to be previous Delta intern and/or containted some "legacy" flavor in their blood line.

If Arnie Kraby and Delta were smart, they would consider re-interviewing candidates that were successful in the interview but had the rug pulled out from under them by the highly intelligent and suicidal shrinks that Delta contracts with to either ruin an individuals career dreams or make them come true.

Ummm....Arnie is smart and Delta is a company which to my knowledge can't be smart or stupid for that matter.

Why does every smart azz post begin with

Ummmmm......?

Yeah, maybe. I only know of two regional FOs who were hired, both were female. If there are male regional FOs hired at Delta, they had to be previous Delta intern and/or containted some "legacy" flavor in their blood line.

Can't speak for all of them, but one of the FOs from ASA who was hired had a ton of contacts at Delta. Sometimes it is more about who you know. It's the way of the world, and probably always will be to some extent.

Can't speak for all of them, but one of the FOs from ASA who was hired had a ton of contacts at Delta. Sometimes it is more about who you know. It's the way of the world, and probably always will be to some extent.

You still have to pass the checkrides and IOE. I know back in '96 that 5 newhires could not pass IOE on the 737-200 at Delta Express in MCO, and they were all ex-Military pilots. A few of them flew F16s, but had never flown 2 man crew airplanes, and couldn't figure it out. If you were offered that opportunity, would you take it? Of course you would. Go out there and meet important people and make a name for yourself. Not a bad idea.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The other one, not a single contact/letter.

Last edited:
You still have to pass the checkrides and IOE. I know back in '96 that 5 newhires could not pass IOE on the 737-200 at Delta Express in MCO, and they were all ex-Military pilots. A few of them flew F16s, but had never flown 2 man crew airplanes, and couldn't figure it out. If you were offered that opportunity, would you take it? Of course you would. Go out there and meet important people and make a name for yourself. Not a bad idea.

Bye Bye---General Lee
Happens all the time
Although I think Military pilots benefit from more conditioning and attitude.
Makes up for some less experience. Good ol' boy network takes care of the rest.
Low Pay doesn't = crappy pilot

RJ pilots (from either seat) have been among my best co-pilots. T-prop regional pilots seem to have good instrument skills and military pilots... well, they're the best of all-just ask 'em and they'll tell ya.

My buddy in the hiring pool (all 8 of them) just received a letter from the pilot hiring manager yesterday stating zero hiring until December 2013. His conditional job offer expires in August and he will have to re-interview, the whole process. 4% reduction in domestic flying. 8-10% reduction in Atlantic flying. 243 pilots on recall bypass who 90% have indicated they will return in December, which is the 10 year point from the initial 9/11 furlough. Around 800 are actively on mil leave and medical who will eventually return as well. Wish it was better news.

Latest resources

Back