• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta retires last DC-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does Delta still need the refinery now? ;)

Looks like a Dominican airline wants to buy 20 of the DL DC95s:

This from CH Aviation:

PAWA Dominicana (7Y, Santo Domingo Las Am?ricas) is to reportedly acquire twenty DC-9-50s from Delta Air Lines (DL, Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson) following the US carrier's recent decision to phase out the type from revenue service. According to informed sources, the Dominican startup also plans to use two ex-Northwest Airlines (NW, Minneapolis/St. Paul) DC-9-30s, HI-869 (msn 47566) & HI-876 (msn 47046), and a single ex-American Airlines (AA, Dallas/Fort Worth) MD-82, HI-914 (msn 49476), all of which are currently in storage at Santo Domingo Las Am?ricas. PAWA Dominicana plans to resume operations later this year and is a sister carrier of Venuezuela's Aserca Airlines (R7, Caracas Sim?n Bolivar).

Bye Bye---General Lee

If they get paid a dollar fifty and a six pack per jet, Delta made out like bandits. Those things were paid off ages ago and would have actually COST money to store.....hahahaha!

Richard is the best CEO in the business right now.

I am surprised Delta isn't still flying the DC-3. I can make Gold to Platnium every year on Delta and honestly I am tired of crappy old airplanes with no overhead baggage area. I am also of old FA's with a bad attitude.

Last edited:
I am surprised Delta isn't still flying the DC-3. I can make Gold to Platnium every year on Delta and honestly I am tired of crappy old airplanes with no overhead baggage area. I am also of old FA's with a bad attitude.

Then fly somebody else......there... problem solved

It's tough for him, he flies for Home Depot with an ATL base, actually FTY I believe. That is so sad! He's trapped....

Bye Bye---General Lee

The DC-9 will continue to fly on for probably another 20 years. As far as I know a DC-9 type rating and differences training is all you need to fly any MD80/90 series or the MD-95 now known as the B-717. They are all still DC-9's. The name change is much like if Lockheed had purchased Boeing and renamed the 737 to the L-1500. Would we say when the B-737-200 made it last flight, that there were no more 737's flying?

You must not have been on the dc9 then.... The Delta (NWA) interiors in them had the biggest overhead compartments I've ever sen on a narrowbody. Much bigger than the 88s.

Latest resources

Back