Delta Orient????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skykid said:
With all the talk about consolidation, Northwest/Delta is one of the few that makes any sense.

No it doesn't. Did you forget to take your smart pills? Go read their financials, son. And before you go, let me give you some sage advice: you can't shine a turd.

Thanks for adding to the debate there, of course you could bring something besides insults to explain your position. The reason it makes sense is NWA is strong in Asia and Delta is strong in Europe. What you could have brought up is that their fleet types don't match up very well, and that employee groups are historically even harder to mesh than fleets. I'm well aware of what is on their balance sheets, and I believe I have some insight as to how they will progress in the coming months.

If you met me in person, you wouldn't be talking to me the way you write here, I can promise you that. Doing that on a computer is a sign of immaturity and weakness.

Seems to me airline bankruptcies are all about money (big surprise there). The major creditors will do whatever they think benefits them the most, which means keeping as many airplanes flying as possible. Their are people out there that will be looking for opportunities that arise from all this turmoil. So anything can happen including replacing old airplanes with new ones, assuming someone benefits from the deal. NWA's Orient routes won't go away, nor will Delta's ATL hub or NWA's MSP hub, or Delta's European or SA flying etc etc. Their may be some new paint jobs and seat changes, but airplanes will keep flying.

I think for the General to have a positive attitude right now is quite commendable. We are in a profession that requires us to deal with adversity calmly and with a positive attitude, last time I flew with a guy that got all panicky and negative when faced with adversity it took a slap to the face to get him to be more positive.

skykid said:
Thanks for adding to the debate there, of course you could bring something besides insults to explain your position. The reason it makes sense is NWA is strong in Asia and Delta is strong in Europe. What you could have brought up is that their fleet types don't match up very well, and that employee groups are historically even harder to mesh than fleets. I'm well aware of what is on their balance sheets, and I believe I have some insight as to how they will progress in the coming months.

If you met me in person, you wouldn't be talking to me the way you write here, I can promise you that. Doing that on a computer is a sign of immaturity and weakness.

Yeah, whatever. If I met you in person I'd probably hold hands with you and sing Cumbaya. What did you expect in return for the unsupported statement in your first post? Our adoration? Sympathy? Don't get pissy when somebody reminds you to take your smart pills. (Now go take another one).

And to succinctly respond to your current post, please define "strong." Is $5 billion in debt "strong"? Please do enlighten us with your deep wisdom.

And if this insults you too, then my sincerest apologies. If I met you in person, I'd give you a tissue too.

Not sure where you got that info, but it's wrong. How did UAL acquire Pan Am routes, FedEx the Tiger routes, etc., etc. Airlines get the routes through bilateral negotiation, and they are then "owned", the airline can sell them with approval, or be acquired, with most, if not all of the routes going along with the sale.

Workin'Stiff said:
BoDean-

I'd be very skeptical of that. NW has fifth freedom rights in Japan that would be forfeited should the NW name "go away." Those rights are very, very exclusive and rest upon the Northwest name remaining intact.

And to succinctly respond to your current post, please define "strong." Is $5 billion in debt "strong"?

I don't know where you get 5 billion in debt, because that doesn't relate to NWA or Delta. What I wrote was:

The reason it makes sense is NWA is strong in Asia and Delta is strong in Europe.

I don't think there is a dispute that NWA has a "strong" presence in Asia and Delta has a "strong" presence in Europe.

As for the rest of your post, I can assure it has been decades since I've needed a tissue or was "insulted" by someone (it is completely illogical to let someone else affect your attitude or sense of well being). I'm merely pointing out that people like you who write big on the computer, are usually the exact opposite of what you are trying to represent.

skykid said:
...it is completely illogical to let someone else affect your attitude or sense of well being...

Okay Spock. Remember, it is also illogical not to read the label on your smart pills before taking them. Read the large print that says: take orally. They're not suppositories young man. You've been jamming them in the wrong hole, which may be what's really affecting your attitude and sense of well being.

Juvat said:
skykid said:
...it is completely illogical to let someone else affect your attitude or sense of well being...

Okay Spock. Remember, it is also illogical not to read the label on your smart pills before taking them. Read the large print that says: take orally. They're not suppositories young man. You've been jamming them in the wrong hole, which may be what's really affecting your attitude and sense of well being.

That's what I luv about this board, you never know when someone is gonna make you completely crack up. Juvat, funny stuff man.

No offense skykid.

Rick James said:
That's funny, and true.
General,
I admire your loyalty, even though I dont agree with your bashing of others at times. The Air Canada example is a stretch as the gov. does'nt have a stake in your Delta or NW.

How did USAir/AWA get those A350s? Remember when Airbus gave them money to eventually order the new birds? Was that because USAir is really the "USA's main airline?" Why did that deal fail at Air Canada if they were "Canada's airline?" And, why was the initial buyer of Air Canada in Bankruptcy a guy from Hong Kong? He pulled out of the deal 3 weeks before they were supposed to come out the first time, right?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dan Roman said:
Seems to me airline bankruptcies are all about money (big surprise there). The major creditors will do whatever they think benefits them the most, which means keeping as many airplanes flying as possible. Their are people out there that will be looking for opportunities that arise from all this turmoil. So anything can happen including replacing old airplanes with new ones, assuming someone benefits from the deal. NWA's Orient routes won't go away, nor will Delta's ATL hub or NWA's MSP hub, or Delta's European or SA flying etc etc. Their may be some new paint jobs and seat changes, but airplanes will keep flying.

I think for the General to have a positive attitude right now is quite commendable. We are in a profession that requires us to deal with adversity calmly and with a positive attitude, last time I flew with a guy that got all panicky and negative when faced with adversity it took a slap to the face to get him to be more positive.

Thanks Dan. When I am not on this forum, I am usually crying in the corner. No, I know this whole deal won't be easy at all, and I expect some major plays being played out right in front of us. As far as a merger with NW, that is all speculation, even though some people think it would be a good fit. All I know is that I am happy we have had 2500 Captain retirements in the last 15 months. That helps out a bunch seniority wise and allows some of us to bid up to whatever equipment is left......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back