• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta needs to pay pilots more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I do hope other airlines will always improve on their respective contracts as that helps everyone I do have to say this.

I have had more fun on overnights in innocuous places at Southwest than I ever had at any of the other three airlines I have worked for, two of those had overnights in "exotic" international destinations that the general has such a hard-on for. It is not unusual to head down to the bar and find ten or more crewmembers at a table having a raucous time. Don't ever seem to see other airlines crews with that sense of community. We may be in Lubbock but we are with "family" and having a great time. A wise old Pan Am captain once told me that if the pay was the same fleet wide the 727 would have been the senior aircraft. So enjoy your 8,9,10hour or whatever legs to wherever cause the van ride looks the same whether your in Milan or Midland. Maybe we will fly over oceans maybe not but right now I just want my last paycheck to say Southwest Airlines and I could give a rats a$$ what kind of airplane I fly

Bye Bye...Dairy Air

+1. And I don't mean to diminish your post by giving it an endorsement from an anonymous internet troll with >7000 posts- but that was better than anything I've ever written-

But it'll fall on deaf ears- at delta you're not a real pilot until your flying "heavy iron" - they don't care about their domestic pilots there which is why they're so willing to outsource it.

General- the life you brag about does not appeal to me

At

All

The average SWA pilot flies 10 times more legs per year, and ends up in a dump like LBB and MAF. The DL pilots are in the middle of a 3 year contract that gave a 20% raise, and the company is making quarterly profits in the billions. So, there is a great possibility that DL narrow body pilots will pass the SWA pilots soon. I'm pretty sure most of the Widebody pilots already make more per hour, and with huge retirements coming at DL and not SWA, double pay overtime flying (greenslips) will be raining down.

Throw in the fact that SWA's boss seems to want to get back to the LCC roots too, it may be tough for them to keep making huge gains. I hope they do, but it doesn't sound like the boss will be willing.

First year pay is also higher at DL, and you don't have to pay for a type rating if you were lacking one prior to applying. Next, DL pays more depending on the size plane you fly. SWA will have only 737s eventually, which means no higher pay scales, and complete boredom after about 5 years. Could you fly multiple leg days for 30 years in ONE plane forever? That would be gawd awful. They are now excited to see San Juan! (If they can find it, the AT guys who got demoted to come over (why again???) can show the Cornies...)

I'll take fewer legs per day, the ability to fly to interesting places, and variety in aircraft and trips over a few extra thousands dollars. Hey, I'll make that up with one greenslip to Rio anyway. It's fantastic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Your desk can fly? Interesting...

That could happen, but doubtful-
Do hope you guys leapfrog us though and sit smugly on FI bitching about how we lower the bar- that's where I'd like the industry contracts- not you guys struggling to make 73 pay flying a wide body

Sure, wave...

It would be nice.

If we don't have wide bodies in 5 years GL, I'll stop posting forever

I'm holding you to this. Jan-19-2014 is the date. I'll remember cause it's the year the Broncos beat the Seahawks in the superbowl.

Posted from another forum. Yikes, don't 4 year SWA FOs make 148K? Private Lee, this can't be true, can it???? Please tell us you aren't exaggerating about your pay again?

nwaf16dude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: ATL 7ERB

14 year Delta FO 757/767, very junior in category (90ish %). No premium, not much international. Reserve about half of the year, flew very little, worked my @ss off the rest of the year. Around 650 hours flown, no idea of how many days worked. Work almost every weekend. Made about 148k in flight pay. Add in retirement contributions, profit sharing and all the other stuff and I get a shade under 190k total compensation.

Private Lee: I can do turns to San Juan or St Thomas from ATL and be home every night. I actually like "going places" far away and eating local foods and hearing different languages.
But apparently someone with 14 years of longevity can't.

Last edited:
Funny how the most vocal critics of the contract I work under is the SWA pilots. Getting ready to watch Gary pull the plug on the good times happyland contract over there makes them lash out on Delta threads.

Thanks for the criticism guys. Let us know how great your life is when Gary punches SWAPA in the ovaries and steals your purse.

Uh huh, and guess who the most vocal critic of SWA on here is.....

Those same "hiring practices" kept your fat ass out. Having to spend a four day with a dork like you is enough reason to consider anyone but Delto.

Ahahahaha! No, I wanted to go to a real airline that enabled me to see the World. One with Variety, which is the spice of life. Enjoy your five legs to Omaha! What's the temp there anyway? I have a trip coming up to Buenos Aires, where it's Summer. I bet you didn't know that. Bellow the Equator it's Summer. You're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So glad the same **************************************** have turned yet another thread in SW vs DL thread.
Then, watching the biggest *********************************** write:

That could happen, but doubtful-
Do hope you guys leapfrog us though and sit smugly on FI bitching about how we lower the bar-

Civ/Mil: civilian
A/C Flown: 1900, RJ, 737
Ratings: atp
Total Time: 12000

How much time to you spend whacking off here telling everyone how great of a hypocrite you truly are?
You are an internet troll, you pay for training sellout!

Latest resources

Back