Delta gouge questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cocknbull

I have the great opportunity to interview with Delta in the next month and I have some questions about the gouge.

I have been looking over the gouge and have been finding conflicting information in some of the answers.

1. I thought under inflated tires would cause a lower dynamic hydroplaning speed? I thought the equation was something like: 8.76 times the square route of main gear tire pressure. Wouldn't that mean over inflated tires hydroplane at higher speeds?

2. I have been instructed both ways to fly runway heading and I cannot find the answer. Do you use wind correction angle after takeoff when assigned runway heading?

3. Every airplane I have flown has dispensed the fire extinguisher fluid between the cowl and the engine. Is it possible there are jets that indeed extinguish directly into the combustion chamber as one person stated?

Maybe I'm just getting nervous, but I would feel better resolving these questions before my big day.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Same ole' questions.

You'll never need or use them on the line.

Whatever.

1 The lower the tire pressure the lower the speed the hydroplane will occur.

2. Between the engine and the cowl is the correct answer.

3. Correct me if I am wrong but in the US/Asia you fly runway heading, in Europe it is wind corrected heading. ( Someone may correct me on this one)

Good luck

Slinky

Heading is heading. Track is track. If you are instucted to fly runway heading, it's a heading, not corrected for wind. If there is some abnormally stong wind component, the controllers know this, and you will be given a corresponding correction, in the form of an assigned heading.

Hi!

I read a great post on this in the FAR section (rwy heading vs. track).

To maintain your position in the takeoff safety area, past the end of the runway, you have to, basically, fly over the end of the runway.

So, if you fly heading, and are blown outside of the runway prior to getting to the end, you may be outside of the safety area.

The practical answer is you should always try and fly the actual track/path of the runway (unless instructed otherwise), even though the FARs are unclear.

cliff
GRB

runway heading is 242 you set the heading bug at 242 and fly it...hence fly runway heading

To maintain your position in the takeoff safety area, past the end of the runway, you have to, basically, fly over the end of the runway.

So, if you fly heading, and are blown outside of the runway prior to getting to the end, you may be outside of the safety area.

At Delta, unless instructed otherwise by any green page procedures, you don't initiate a turn until 400'. So being blown outside the safety area should not be a concern.

The safe area is for straight-ahead, V1 emergencies. That is the time to be concerned about runway track, and corrections for wind. If assigned runway heading, you put that number at the top of the compass, and fly it.

Again thank you. I have always bugged runway heading and flew that heading regardless of track, but some parts of the gouge threw me for a loop.

Latest resources

Back