• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta cutting International flights 3%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA has international flights like McDonalds has haute cuisine. The Caribbean and Mexico don't really cut it.

Not really a "dichotomy" as the markets are completely different.

It's interesting when DL is cutting international flying while SW is adding it. Quite the dichotomy.

So a soft zone Eurozone isn't really affecting the trailer court bookings to Cancun? Wow. That is quite the dichotomy there.

The larger question Spaulding is where is the international growth for a company like Delta when this all settles out? verses say a company like SW?

Let's see Red....

We can goto Manaus, Morocco, Tahiti, Fiji, Lyon (Again) all rumored to be on the destination lists. Nobody else is doing those.

Southwest will provide the industry with the much needed overcapacity (sarcasm included) and try to drag Spirit, JB, Alaska, Frontier and all the legacies into a battle for Mexico and close in cities already with enough seats provided with a good margin for all.......but SW has -800s now and we all must respect the new International Darlings. How's those Customs turns working for ya??

You Bill, thanks for the fairly measured response and the possible expansion on the Delta side.

I'm not sure your overcapacity statement is true and we'll have to evaluate that later. I believe we will be relatively restrained (regarding quick growth) and that some of our domestic passengers that have never had a choice to stay on us, now will. I think that angle will make a difference.

Let's see Red....

We can goto Manaus, Morocco, Tahiti, Fiji, Lyon (Again) all rumored to be on the destination lists. Nobody else is doing those.

Southwest will provide the industry with the much needed overcapacity (sarcasm included) and try to drag Spirit, JB, Alaska, Frontier and all the legacies into a battle for Mexico and close in cities already with enough seats provided with a good margin for all.......but SW has -800s now and we all must respect the new International Darlings. How's those Customs turns working for ya??
Am I to take this to mean a "good margin for all" only applies to current market participants? If SWA comes to a market and fills seats with customers formerly flying on another airline but now choosing Southwest instead, that is the definition of competition is it not. If the product and price are superior, the customers will not change brands. If passengers are not shopping for a better alternative the current players have nothing to worry about and SWA will be flying empty aircraft until they decide to remove their capacity from the market.

Howard,

Your cost structure doesn't mean you will be the cheapest ride to anywhere....let's be honest....nobody picks an airline on service. Its a battle for the cheapest seat.

Howard,

Your cost structure doesn't mean you will be the cheapest ride to anywhere....let's be honest....nobody picks an airline on service. Its a battle for the cheapest seat.
If cost structure doesn't equate to pricing flexibility, what does?

Stage Length Adjusted CASM Ex-Fuel @ 1000 miles:

Spirit.......................................................6 cents
Southwest................................................7 cents
American and Delta..............Approximately 10 cents
United................................Approximately 11 cents

Last edited:
I love vacationing in the Caribbean and Central America. Bring on the over capacity so I can no rev with my family again.

Latest resources

Back