• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- If you didn't attend classes, went to the beach and smoked doobies, and still pulled a 2.26 shouldn't that count for something?

- I suppose one little Homicide ( reduced to Manslaughter ) is also disqualifying?

- How many DUI's is considered "excessive"?

- What's next...an airline hiring process that requires you send in a stool sample?

???

YKW

could it be because going to college has nothing to do with critcial thinking skills? How about the ACT of 29 good standard test, service academy standards?

If it doesn't, that's a problem with the college you went to, not with the requirement for college
Developing the whole person is something pilots should want- not passing one test

But I know you have differing opinions
I know, you can become delta AND SWA's head of hiring and set whatever standard you'd like

College is supposed to help develop critical thinking skills. No one has any leaving high school. Digging sewer trenches is no help.

If it doesn't, that's a problem with the college you went to, not with the requirement for college
Developing the whole person is something pilots should want- not passing one test
right! Please, we are not talking about Yale, U of M, or even MIT as the universal example of getting a college degree and developing critical thinking skills; we are talking about a degree from Bumblebee State. The degree from Bumblebee State requires no time on campus, no classroom attendance, and only money. Yet the Bumblebee State will still check the box in the lower left corner, same as Yale. Many college graduatse tried getting into Navy Flight Training in the mid 60?s to avoid being drafted into the Army, many did not make it because the critical thinking skills required to have a high probability of successful program completion were in excess of those who attended college.

BTW That is why DAL used to hire pilots out of the Navy without college degrees, because that had proven that had the necessary level of critcal thinking skills

I don't think most of us went to bumblebee, so do you have a real example?

I don't think most of us went to bumblebee, so do you have a real example?
of course not, I use Bumblebee so as not to offend anyone who went to places like that. 60 credits for life time experience, 30 credits for flight training you have done, then just pay us $xxx for the other 30 credits done on line that could be done by your wife, mother or best friend in order to get your degree. All college degrees are not created equal and to elevate a person to the lauded position of "College Graduate" as prove of superiority over all low life non-degreed persons, well is just BS.

The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. I have said never don?t get a degree, I have admitted that it will probably open doors, but it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. It is only a box to be checked on an application

BTW: The ACT of 29 would be proof of superior intelligence, most pilots could not reach that level. Be a good thing to elevate the shortage, drive up wages. Maybe that is why airlines really like service academy grads?

Holding the ACT up as some sort of superior method of determining intelligence is nonsense. The ACT doesn't even purport to measure intelligence. It's designed to measure college aptitude, not intelligence. A far better measure of intelligence is the Stanford-Binet IQ test.

I know people who love it down there. 25 min from the airport, good schools, and plenty of golf courses. You've obviously never been there. I'd move down there but I already have a nice house in East Cobb...

Bye Bye---General Lee

And they have a Taco Macs!

Holding the ACT up as some sort of superior method of determining intelligence is nonsense. The ACT doesn't even purport to measure intelligence. It's designed to measure college aptitude, not intelligence. A far better measure of intelligence is the Stanford-Binet IQ test.
Fine then use that one, the college degree by itself proves nothing

Fine then use that one, the college degree by itself proves nothing

Proves nothing? I wouldn't go that far. It proves that you have knowledge in whatever your degree is in. Does it prove anything about being a pilot? Well, definitely not. Requiring a college degree for what is essentially skilled labor is pretty ridiculous. I agree with you there.

Latest resources

Back