Cracked Windshield

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KA100flyer

As much as I don't want to, I'll keep the airline and flight # anonymous. 3 days ago over central WI. while with ORD center a CRJ experienced a cracked windshield. They determined they needed to descend to 12,000 ft. They also were wearing their O2 masks. They passed ORD,MKE,GRR,LAN, and everything else inbetween. We were following them on our #2 comm. Multiple controllers asked what their intentions were. The pilots responded by "we talking with dispatch and checking our fuel". 22 miles from DTW, which was their destination, they finally declared an emergency and asked them to have ARFF standing by. Before they asked for the ARFF at DTW and the controller asked where they wanted to go. The pilot responded "will continue to our destination since it's our closeest airport.

Hit the wrong button. Wasn't done typing yet. Doesn't it seem odd they were 250-300 miles away, descended to 12,000 ft, were wearing their O2 masks, and asked for ARFF but didn't declare an emergency until the closest airport was their destination. I would have been down long before that. Any opinions?

I don't think a cracked windshield is that big of a deal. Especially if it was just one or two layers, which is normally the case. YES, I still would have followed the QRH (O2, and normal descent), but once I got to the lower altitude and everything was OK, I still probably would have continued.

IMHO, the screw up: Declaring the emergency THEN passing all of those airports. I think the feds will have 'em for breakfast over this one. Once I got to the lower altitude and all was fine, I would not have declared.

Regardless, I am not going to throw rocks. Things like this are too easy to Monday morning quarterback. If they got everyone to their destination safely, good for them.

Maybe there was no reason for the emergency when they passed those other airports? Then all of a sudden the situation became worse and they decided to declare. I'm right with AviatorTx, never try to say "they should have done this".

The CRJ's windscreen is three layers. Usualy it's the middle layer that cracks because that's the one that is heated. Never the less when it does happen it usualy shatters to the point where you cant' see out the window. I've never had it happen to me but I hear that it's a loud "bang" and you want to get down quickly.

I've had 5 windshields shatter or crack on me in jets, all non-events. I even ferried an airplane back from Caracas with a shattered windshield. One was in the CRJ and it shattered the two outer layers. I have never heard of anyone losing pressurization due to a cracked windshield. But, none the less, I would never second guess a pilot who diverted or continued.

Cracked CRJ Windows

After three cracked windows (one FO side), it is a non event. Refer to the QRH and you will understand.

Although the first one, on the FO's side. was fun. It was his leg and when it happened, at 27,000 ft decending, he ducked and said calmly "it's your controls". We did a quasi emer decent to 10K checked the QRH and found it no big deal. We were only about 70 miles from our destination. At the gate the mechanic found the outer pane broke and the aircraft was ferried to the maintenance base.

Note: the ferry info had to come from Bombardier with specific info about that paticular aircraft by serial number.

Wooohooo what a career.

Had experience with cracked windows...the only problem with continuing is if a big enough piece comes off the outer panes and gets sucked into the engine(s), we go from a ferriable non-event to a single engine operation.

The above scenario happened on a corporate airplane but the window to aircraft engine location creates the potential for a problem.

I never try to second guess the guy flying, only try to think through all the possiblities...usually an expeditious landing while inconvienient may be prudent.

I know of a guy who almost got sucked out when a windshield cracked all the way through and failed. He now wears his shoulder harness all the time, even at cruise for several hours.

densoo said:
I know of a guy who almost got sucked out when a windshield cracked all the way through and failed. He now wears his shoulder harness all the time, even at cruise for several hours.

I seem to remember a BA BAC 1-11 pilot who was sucked forward out through his windscreen and held on to his life with his fingers. This was back on the 1980's.

Latest resources

Back