Could Jumpseating ever come to an end?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

This recent FAA stuff on restricting jumpseats after 9/11 has really changed the whole jumpseat system. All it would really take would be one incident involving a jumpseater (or imposter) threatening or attacking a crew, and it could potentially end all jumpseating (even within company). This would severely affect the lives of thousands and thousands of pilots and how they get to work. I know I'm not the only one who has been thinking about this since 9/11. This has also caused me to think very seriously about only working for an airline where you live at your domicile. I happen to work at an airline with the nastiest and crapiest domiciles ever. I think commuting in the cabin on passes would be very tough when loads are high.

Do you think we would ever get to a point where jumpseating no longer exists as an option to travel?

I don't think so. I believe that jumpseating will be somewhat back to normal as long as they figure out a way to verify the identity and employment of the pilot seeking the jumpseat. IE a 2 hour prior to allow some sort of verification. That's just my guess. I believe that the reason they are freaking out over the jumpseats is because some of the hijackers actually occupied jumpseats on some of these airliners on 9/11. 9/11 happened just months after an urgent safety memo was sent out to all the airlines regarding the theft of some American Airlines uniforms and id's from Rome. So I believe all of this combined is the reason the jumpseats are so restrictive.

Flight Crew,
Hmmm, let's see crappiest domiciles...does your airline start with a C ? By any chance?

habubuaza said:
I believe that the reason they are freaking out over the jumpseats is because some of the hijackers actually occupied jumpseats on some of these airliners on 9/11.

This is another urban legend that has become fact in the media.

The hijackers may have sat in the jumpseat after taking over the plane, but they were ticketed passengers, not jumpseaters. This is a serious mistake to make, and one that is perpetuating the kind of fear among the uninformed (airline GSCs and security screeners, and the FAA) that is geting pilots harassed.

Save-a-seat

As far as the jumpseat dilemma is concerned, I believe (but hey, that's just me) that the carriers who are truly concerned about the moral health of their employee force should reserve at least two seats in the back (1 pilot, 1 FA) for commuters. One of the reasons we selected this profession was the accompanying lifestyle (live anywhere, go anywhere).

I know, I know, the arguement is that no airline in their right mind would relinquish a fare-generating seat to a scumbag commuter just to support his/her lifstyle, but then again, isn't that part of the agreement? Besides, how often does a carrier run 100% load factors? Also, what about the concept of "must ride" when it benefits the airline?????? How about "must ride" when it benefits the crew member ( and therefore the airline)??????????

We crews have had to make enormous concessions since 9/11. Maybe the carriers should do something in return. :confused:

Last edited:
Re: Save-a-seat

yipstick said:
As far as the jumpseat dilemma is concerned, I believe (but hey, that's just me) that the carriers who are truly concerned about the moral health of their employee force should reserve at least two seats in the back (1 pilot, 1 FA) for commuters. One of the reasons we selected this profession was the accompanying lifestyle (live anywhere, go anywhere).

I know, I know, the arguement is that no airline in their right mind would relinquish a fare-generating seat to a scumbag commuter just to support his/her lifstyle, but then again, isn't that part of the agreement? Besides, how often does a carrier run 100% load factors? Also, what about the concept of "must ride" when it benefits the airline?????? How about "must ride" when it benefits the crew member ( and therefore the airline)??????????

We crews have had to make enormous concessions since 9/11. Maybe the carriers should do something in return. :confused:

Though this sounds like a great idea, here's why it would never happen:
Our airlines don't WANT us to commute. They tolerate it because they have to (contractually).
This was discussed the other day and "Enigma" made a great point of it when he said that they don't want us to have the freedom... it's easier to control us if we can't commute (paraphrased).
My contrabution was that the airlines "own" the jumpseat, not the pilots or the unions. We only get to use it because we "bought" it with concessions during contract negotiations. To the airlines, it's never going to be in their favor to help us commute because "we choose to commute instead of living in the chosen domicile". They say it's our choice and they aren't going to spend money to support our "great" commuter lifestyle.

already happened to most of us

Offline jumpseating has already ended. At this point, the airlines are allowing us if there is a seat available in the back. In effect, we are just low priority non-revs. I hope that we never lose the ability to ride upfront on our own carrier, but unless our unions make the jumpseat a priority, we will probably loose the online privelege as well.

The companys don't like jumpseaters because the practice represents our freedom of movement, and management doesn't like "free/independent" workers. They're being short sighted when they feel that way, because our ability to move freely about the country is what makes us able to put up with the rest of their crap; but they only see jumpseating as the cause of no-shows and missed work.

The Feds don't like jumpseating because it now exposes the pitiful state of pilot identification. They ordered offline jumping shut down as a way to cover their tails in the event of another hijacking.

Therefore, I conclude that we pilots are the only ones who want to continue the practice of jumpseating. I believe that our only effective voice comes from our unions. So, I suggest that we all get active and contact ALPA/SWAPA/APA/etc, asap, and voice our support for the resumptiom of on and offline jumpseating. I have already written a short note to the ALPA magazine, and have made my views known to my LEC reps.

regards
8N

Re: Re: Save-a-seat

ifly4food said:

This was discussed the other day and "Enigma" made a great point of it when he said that they don't want us to have the freedom... it's easier to control us if we can't commute (paraphrased).

Man, if I'd known that you were online writing this at the same time I was replying; I would have saved a few precious cogent moments and let you say it for me :)
regards
8N

Enigma:

Beautifull post. You should run for ALPA President.

I am disgusted at the impotent response to date by ALPA regarding the JS and security harrassment of lfight crews.

All commuters should have their own private C-310 provided and paid for by the company....Realistically it is to the advantage of the airline to have the commuters. Where I work we have a very anti-commute policy which retricts us to pilot's that live in the Miami Area. Consequently we have missed out on hiring some great sticks that live in a part of the country that grows "natural pilots" like Kansas. Flying an airplane is nothing compared to driving a combine during harvest up and down those hills and terraces.

Latest resources

Back