Corporate interview (please help)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlightTraker

I have an interview with a corporate operator next week. The job I applied for was a blind add looking for "entry level co-pilot for Citation". They are based out of CID. I have only been to airline interviews. Is a corporate interview much the same? I have a misconception that corporate interviews are a more "get to know you" session and let your logbook and performance during training do the rest. What kind of things should I prepare for. More human resource or technical?

Thanks in advance,

FlightTraker;)

Flight, be prepared for anything in a corporate interview. Chance are its more a "get to know you" type interview, reviewing your background, seeing who you'll fit their corporate culture.

However, I have heard of corporate departments going as far as requiring physc tests and sim evals for jobs. Since you've gotten the interview, why not give them a call and ask if they'll give you an idea of what to expect. A quality corporate job wouldn't expect you to come in cold and wing it.

Just be prepared for that interview as you would be prepared for an airline interview. Expect any questions. Like an airline interview, they've chosen to interview you because they like what they saw on your resume. Don't give them the opportunity not to like you in the interview.

Send me a private message if you have time. I may know the chief pilot with whom you're interviewing.

Best of Luck

2000Flyer

A corporate job interview could be anywhere in the spectrum from all HR type stuff to all technical stuff, depending on the coporate culture and who you're meeting with.

If you are only meeting with the Chief Pilot (Aircraft Mgr, Flight Dept. Mgr are other similar titles) typical questioons would be "What is your background, why coporate, why us, tell us about yourself, can you be flexible, are you a team player, if we spend a bunch of money on you to train you, are you going to run off to Yooo-nited airlines, can we be sure you will pass training and will you be open to flying here using our SOP's").

If you are also meeting the owners, they may have some other questions, but probably just want to know that they will feel comfortable with you as one of the pilots- show some confidence, smile, show some teeth,
let them know you believe in the safe, comfortable and efficient operation of their aircraft.

Don't forget to ask some questions of your own- it's expected that as a professional, you will want to know the details of the position. What kind of training can you expect? What kind of schedule? Benefits, health insurance, etc. What about upgrades- how long has it taken historically?

How long has the flight department been in existence? What is its role in the company? What are future plans for equipment? Is the aircraft currently listed for sale (don't laugh, you might be surprised by the answer) ? What kind of assurances do you have that the operation will continue, etc.

Good luck- let us know how it goes.

FlightTraker,

I've have prepared for many corporate interviews and, much to my dissapointment, nobody has even asked to see my logbooks. Most will want to know if you are a good corporate fit.

Regardless of my experiences, do it right and be prepared. Better to be prepared and not have to use it than not be prepared and wish you were.

My advice, be yourself and don't care if you get the job or not. You want them to hire you for who you are. Interview them as well. Who knows, you may not want the job.

Good luck,

Basics

Some basics,

As Ty points out, a good deal depends on who in the organization you are dealing with.

A pilot that is going to be your captain as example is looking for your compatibility with him . Corporate pilots in general spend a great deal of time together. They want someone who fits in with the existing people, is willing to pull their own weight in all the non-flying responsibilities, knows that weekends and other type away from home flying is required, etc. You will be checked more for flight background with the flight department people than owners.

Second, I would suggest you make yourself familiar with the company or service you will fly with. Check out their web site, find out what they do. Especially if you will meet management or people from the company. Know something about them.

Thirdly, go to the airport they are based at and ask some questions without being too forward.

While someone may check your logbook, if you have letters of recomendation from past employers and a solid resume, they may check the other stuff later.

Lastly, people that ask you to comne for an interview liked what they saw or heard. They are not trying to trick you. Just relax, ask questions. Do not ask their equipment plans. You should give the impression that you are thrilled to death to be given the opportunity to fly what they have, not what they might get later.

Thank you for all the responses. Very informative and educational (well for me at least). My interview is in on April 1.

FlightTraker

Well, this one wasn't in the cards for me. Maybe next time. Just for the record, I interviewed with the Chief Pilot and another pilot over lunch. No technical questions, a few situational questions (regarding pressure from the boss to get somewhere and T-storms), no review of logbooks, some questions about current job. Pretty much a get to know session.

Don't sweat it

FlightTraker,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job but don't sweat it. If the job was meant for you, everything would have fallen into place. There are plenty of good jobs out there. Never give up.

The experience you gained from this interview however is valuable. Write some notes on what you think you did right and what you think you did wrong. Do it better next time.

Hope you told them in no uncertain terms that, given the nature of the job, the boss has no business pressuring you, anytime... period. If they don't like that answer, you don't want to be there anyway. If the boss is in the habit of pressuring his pilots, the current flight department management is poor.

If anyone on our aircraft pressures us, first we politely tell them why we are doing what we are doing and that we make our decisions based solely on safety concerns, then we report it to the CP and that passenger never flies on our bird again... ever. The Chairman of the company, or, the "boss," is required to read and sign our SOP's which clearly state that there will be no pressure applied to the flight crews to make a flight.

Be persistent and keep networking.

Good luck,

CL-604;
just wanted to say thanks for answering my pior question on the CL's, Just got home from YUL with a fresh CL-604 type in pocket, What an incredable machine!

Mickey.

Latest resources

Back