Continental Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cletislj04

What is it like to work at CA? What are the minimums to be hired there? What is the pay, lifestyle, layover times, and all that other stuff like? Any information would be helpful. Thanks:rolleyes:

can u say FURLOUGH?

Currently CAL has furloughed a few hundred pilots- some are on the street but the majority are on "EXPRESSJET'S"=COex's seniority list. Growth has been stagnant in comparison to XJT's explosive growth. U figure it out....

Yes, this is true a lot of guys are on furlough or back at Continental Express. Pay is below industry average but the contract is due in October. I think they will be paid close to United and Delta but work rules will have to be compromised. Bases suck, well at least for west coasters. They are Houston, Cleveland, and Newark. There wont be movement at CAL for a long time unless they get some kind of scope in the next contract. CAL Express is taking all the flying with the RJ. Gordone Bethune (CEO) is great on the surface but underneath it's all about the stockholders. That's it in a nutshell.

Cal Micronesia

The thing that sets CAL apart from other majors for me (except UPS & Fedex) is they also have the Guam base where all you fly is pacific island and asian rim, from what I understand. I personally think that would be awesome and if you get sick of it you can always just bid back to Newark or wherever in the states.

The Guam deal can be a good one, especially for someone who is single, IMHO. For a new hire, if you choose to go to Guam, they will start you out at second year pay, institute health bennies immediately (versus a 6 month wait) and add on a monthly stipend. The flying is done in the 737-800 and the schedule can be decent. In return, the company wanted a pilot to remain on Guam for at least 18 months. That was the deal last Spring, who knows what is happening now. As for the future at CAL, it is hard to predict. There is talk of recalls this summer, but we have an IPO of Express this coming week and we are taking deliveries of one RJ per week (or something close to that). The goal is to be an all jet fleet by 2003. Too bad all the jets aren't Boeing! As with every other carrier, we missed the boat on getting a single seniority list and will have to fight like h*(ll to get decent wages for the folks flying the RJs. Can you say C-scale? Heck, at CAL it is more like a D, E and F scale. See ya in Houston when the stop loss ends!

#1W

p.s. Any other CAL folks out there here any better rumors about recalls?

#1 Windmilling said:

p.s. Any other CAL folks out there here any better rumors about recalls?

Nothing definitive, but a friend of mine in the training department said they are not sending as many instructors back to the line this summer.

A possible spool up in training is my personal take on it. New bid?

Latest resources

Back