Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
Ok, so im gettin ready for the commercial checkride here in the Kansas City area, anybody got any suggestions? Hints? or just general comments? I think ive got the lazy 8's. Chandelles. and 8's on pylons down pretty good, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

My $.02

Just remember, You are the pilot in command. If you don't feel something is right, don't do it. Let the exmainer know what you are doing. I busted my checkride trying to salvage a bad soft field landing,I should have gone around but was so focused on having to make a soft field landing that I slammed it on the runway.
Goodluck and let us know how you do.

La Rue’s advice for passing a check ride.

Don’t accept an/any clearance from ATC if you are rushed feel pushed or need just a couple of extra seconds to “sort things out”.

DO NOT be afraid to go missed on an approach if things begin to look iffy, minimums are rushing up at you faster than you would like or you reach case break deflection.

Tell the examiner what you are doing and give a quick explanation if necessary, but don’t try to write a novel up there.

When he/she fails one on you (assuming your doing the Multi), don’t anticipate it, just let it happen…:)

Practice a bit of cockpit coordination before you go up. Take your fight board, clipboard or what ever you use and sit in your car, practice placing such things as checklists, plates, charts and even your pencils. At 3,000 feet when cleared direct your IAF on an unfamiliar approach, while the examiner has that “spring loaded look” about him or her, ready and itching to “chop one on ya”, it is no place to wonder what the heck you just did with that plate for the <Inverted NDB DME approach> With holding pattern in lieu of PT into Possum Holler Muni!

But above all, just relax and enjoy this.

When its all over you will feel some kind pride I can tall ya now.

Checkrides

Use the PTS as your study guide. Know your stuff, be sure that your maneuvers meet or are better than PTS standards, describe what you're doing as you do it. Know all your Part 61 and 91 limitations on commercial pilots. When you get to the oral, for heaven's sake, only answer what is asked of you. Do NOT volunteer information and don't act like a know-it-all. Say one thing wrong and the examiner might probe for more information, landing you in the proverbial hole.

Best of luck with your practical.

Last edited:
Bobbysamd hit the nail on the head. Know the PTS, don't volunteer any info, and don't be afraid to go-around. You need to do a go-around anyway.

Good Luck

I would add, KNOW THE REGULATIONS! Most commercial checkrides will involve some discussion of regulations about commercial flying. Understand the basics of part 135, why it exists and when you need an ATCO certificate and if you can fly for a 135 outfit after you get your ticket.

Most examiners don't go much into 121 as far as I know but know what all the parts are for. I question my students on 119, 135, 121, 125 and of course 91 and 61. You must think like a commercial pilot and follow all regulations. Know about common and private carriage and "holding out." I'm sure your instructor has reviewed most of this with you but your ride will go much easier the better you know all this.

Think like your a PIC for a commercial flight, i.e. flying passengers for hire. Be professional.

Good luck.

Know your airplane and its systems inside and out. How do certain instruments work? He may ask you to draw the inside workings of one.

Act like and fly like you are about to carry the checkpilot's family up at altitude on a trip.

Know the PTS.

Always have a field in sight to set up an engine out landing in. Be prepared for diversions and an alternate airport.

Good Luck.

Always offer to buy the examiner a cup of coffee. Be courteous. Be friendly. Be kind. Lace the coffee with sedative. When the examiner wakes up, tell him you passed. Enjoy your new certificate.

Latest resources

Back