Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phrog-guy

A couple Comair questions???

1) Does Comair have a training contract, if so how long?

2) About how long do you fly reserve before picking up a line at Comair?

Thanks

How long is upgrade running at Comair? I'm just curious. That would suck to have to spend approx 1yr on FO rsv. At my co, ACA, which is rapidly becoming another Comair, FOs don't spend much time on reserve, save for the handful of ppl who got hired in Sept/Oct 2001. Upgrade is approx 2yrs for all a/c - CRJ, FRJ, and J41, though there is no more upgrades in J41.

The upgrade time is quite skewed depending on your flight time. Pre 9-11, so many were being hired with fairly low time, you would be able to bypass a lot of people because of the 3000 hrs. required to be a captain there. Was about a year, seems to be longer now. Of note, training/hiring is on hold, reason given is bombardier can't get crj's to comair fast enough. This came from a line pilot who spoke to management 2 days ago. Your gonna get a lot of answers to this question, and probably all will be educated guesses, but just that, a guess.

skydiverdriver said:
1, no

2, Depends on several factors, but right now it's running just over a year for new FO's.

It wasn't long ago that "ComyAir" was known as the "pay to play airline"...I would assume all of there Captains had to pay the 10k in training fees...isn't aviation wonderful...we used to make fun of the guys who used to pay for Continental Express and Comair jobs...jmo

I wasn't necessarily 'making fun' of those ppl who had to do PFT.

It was a different economy, different scenario. Today's job market is almost sizzling compared to the way it was in the early 90s.
Lets recap - early 90s. Pan Am, Eastern, Midway + several other smaller affiliates - bankrupt. Thousands of multi-thousand hour PIC FAR pt. 121 pilots couldn't even find a job to BUY, let alone find a job, period. If you were a brand new CFI, it would takes years just to get a 135 freight job. What other choices did you really have. Yes, PFT sucked, but you did what you could to advance your career.

Today several majors have furloughed and a handful (e.g Midway, Canada 3000) are in the history books. Despite that, there is hiring at the regional levels. Several companies that you can make a career out of, including Comair, ASA, ACA, Allegheny, Piedmont, Skywest, are interviewing or sucking people out of their pre 9-11 hiring pool. I would gladly change places with any major airline pilot who is on furlough, except a USAirways guy...I have confidence this industry is going to bounce back. From various friends I have still at the CFI level, it sucks for them, yes, but there are still other options for them, e.g. 135 outfits, charter flying, etc....

Bottom lines: I am not a proponent of PFT and having to buy a job, I am just expressing the fact that the situation just 4-5 years ago was completely different. Those ERAU or FSI 500hr RJ wonders just didn't exist, and if you were hoping for an airline career, you did what you had to do. One more thing - look at how well a couple PFT evolved into a choice employer: Exec Jet and Continental Express. EJA is a place where everybody is gunning to be, while I know of countless people who went to COEX under the PFT regime, benefitted from the flow through, and are now sitting comfortable with a couple years seniority at CAL. I think they'd call that $10K the best $ they ever spent on themselves...

JT

It's running about 2.5 years to make captain at Comair. Thanks AA for reminding us, again, that we used to have pft. I'm sure we all really need to keep hearing that, over and over and over. I will never get tired of hearing it, and I thank you so much for mentioning it.

BTW, I did not pft..thanks.

skydiverdriver said:
It's running about 2.5 years to make captain at Comair. Thanks AA for reminding us, again, that we used to have pft. I'm sure we all really need to keep hearing that, over and over and over. I will never get tired of hearing it, and I thank you so much for mentioning it.

BTW, I did not pft..thanks.

No Problem! ha ha...Hey about five years ago I had a friend that I got hired at the commuter I was flying at, instead a week before his class he decided to interview and accept employement with ComyAir. Yes ComyAir is a much better place if you plan on staying at the Regional level, but lets face it we all just need the time and experience and were off to a major. In his case he is a RJ captain at ComyAir, but I am a S80 driver at AA.

JTrain: Taking a guess on your experience level you were probably hired at the Commuter around 1999? If so, most companies had gotten rid of the pay to play crap and the minimum hours to get hired were greatly decreased, and trust me so increased the failures and bust out rates. It was difficult to get hired in the mis 90's at the Regionals, but it just took patience(most pilots don't have) and aggresiveness. Guys paid and it made them look bad, and made the industry look even worse. Your biggest concern right now would be: first hoping the majors recall all there furloughed pilots, second mainline flying stops going to the regionals RJs at the rate it is, and third hope you build alot of time and types because the competition is going to be fierce once AA and the others start to hire...better yet you could be like all the other chumps and go pay 8 grand for a 737 type and fly a herb turd...Take care

EMB Guy

For the record, I was hired by ACA in summer of 2000. I did not PFT, nor di I have ever intention of ever doing PFT.

Now, a question for you, EMB Guy:

How did you get your Private? Who paid for your Instrument rating? How about your commercial ticket- did you get a scholarship for that? Well, if you're like 99.99% of the rest of us, you PAID for your own ratings. How about your college degree - did you pay for that? Or here's another question for you - if you were accepted into Harvard MBA - and the 6 figure salary you get upon graduation - would you spent $$$ for that? Of course you would - its an investment in yourself!

According to your definitions, the only people who truly 'earned' their jobs are the cadets that European and Asian airlines train from 'scratch' as ab-initios - these people earned their jobs through a gruelling interview, testing and aptitude examination process.

As for Mr. S80 - I'm glad things worked out for you and you're at AA. I presume the regional you were at was TSA (since you didn't do PFT and they're the only other one who flew J41s and J32s), because there was a time everybody wanted to go there because they were one of the few non PFT outfits around. Now lets assume you hadn't lived such a charmed life and hadn't been hired by AA. You would be at TSA, which by many accounts is a %$#@! place to be. Your friend hedged his bets by picking Comair, likely since he was impressed on the surface by people trying to turn it into a place you could spend your career. AA wasn't always the goldmine for pilots it has been - it took a lot of hard work by a lot of people for a long time to create AA, circa2002. With people like your friend, Comair may one day become a place like AA. Then again - it may not. There are no certainties in this professions.

JT

integrity

Thank God we have so many able and willing aviatiors who are not sacrificing their integrity for the noble cause of???? and just what is that nobel cause that we have not fed the children over.

Well so we can tell our children how we had it rough waiting on tables and not compromising our souls by ---- well by something.

These judgemental pontifications reflect ----- well they just reflect on the character of those making judgement, certainly not on those who make judgements on their own careers faced with the decisions that that they had to make for their and their families good.

Waiting tables is a profession more suited to those that chose to do it when they had other options, or, or, did they?

Latest resources

Back