• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hiflt...that is sort of a tough one for me to answer because i don't work in CVG where most of the employees are so i see only a fraction of what goes on.

that being said, based on my limited experience i feel that for the most part the people i come into contact with are over it and ready to move on and do good things. comair seems to be doing well and i'm sure that helps.

still, there are a lot of people that seem to carry a gruge. most have been around a long time and for whatever reason didn't move on. so, yeah, you still encounter a lot of bitterness and resentment.

also, our flight attendants are in the middle of contract negotiations so they are not a very happy group right now.

i'm sure that comair is no different than most of the other similar-sized airlines in terms of work environment. all i try to do is maintain a positive attitude and try not to listen to all of the complaining that goes on. if it's in ops i usually leave and if it's in the cockpit i try to change the subject.

this job beats the heck out of what i was doing before and it sure beats the unemployment line that i was in six months ago so overall i'm very happy.

let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply to my questions above. From the outside looking in, Comair seems to be a good company in terms of equipment, contract, pay, etc., but for me, having a [generally] positive work environment is a big factor. Upgrade is likely to take some time no matter where I end up, so being at work in a 'happy' company is a high priority. Your thoughts are definitely encouraging.
I take it the best way to be considered for an interview is to apply via fax and mail, and that the interview is pretty standard, apart from the aptitude test?
Thanks again for your thoughts and all the very best in your career.:p

Comair Questions

Hi!

I have recently applied (again) to Comair.

I wanted to repeat the question on weekend passes. I believe I read before that Comair will give you passes on Comair/Delta to go home weekends during training, but I would like to confirm that (ASA also? SkyWest?). I believe that you're not allowed to jumpseat until...(completing IOE)?

I would also like to know:
1-I read the 75 hour guarantee after starting IOE. Does this change when you start reserve, and then when you get a line? How do the hourly pay/guarentee, etc. change from IOE->Reserve->Line?

2-I read that you CANNOT commute while on reserve a number of times. What I think the writers meant, was that it was impractical to commute on your reserve days. If hired by Comair, I would want to get a crashpad in CIN, and commute home on my days off-If I had 2 days in a row off. Can someone confirm that this is workable? Did they really mean you are NOT ALLOWED to commute while on reserve?

My wife just flew Comair from GRB-SAV. She commented that all of the pilots had cool leather jackets. I believe ATA has them also. I think that it's a neat idea to have them as part of the optional uniform. The Air Force thought it was a good idea. I think I heard FedEx has leather jackets?

Anyway, I'm on furlough, with, of course, no guarantee of going back, and if I could get on with Comair, it would be great! The commute would be very easy for me.

Sign me TOSTWGBITA:
(Tired of substitute teaching and wanting to get back in the air.)
GB,WI

Hey Cliff, I'm over in CWA and had talked to you a long time ago when you were trying to get back into flying. I know you wanted to go to MidEx or Air Willy. Who'd you get on with? I'm furloughed too so we're both in the same boat. Let me know. You can either post a reply or send me a private message.

Capt. Over

Re: Comair Questions

atpcliff said:
Hi!

I have recently applied (again) to Comair.

I wanted to repeat the question on weekend passes. I believe I read before that Comair will give you passes on Comair/Delta to go home weekends during training, but I would like to confirm that (ASA also? SkyWest?). I believe that you're not allowed to jumpseat until...(completing IOE)?

As far as weekend passes, that is true. Several of my classmates made use of them. I hadn't heard about the jumpseat/IOE thing. to my knowledge, if you have an ID, you can jumpseat.

I would also like to know:
1-I read the 75 hour guarantee after starting IOE. Does this change when you start reserve, and then when you get a line? How do the hourly pay/guarentee, etc. change from IOE->Reserve->Line?

You are correct. The 75 hour starts from day 1 of IOE. The pay doesn't change. It is the same whether you are on IOE,Reserve, or a lineholder. I was hired in the 9/12 class, finished IOE on 12/19, and I was just awarded a CD(continuous duty) line for the month of Feb. At least it gets me off reserve and the pager for a month.

2-I read that you CANNOT commute while on reserve a number of times. What I think the writers meant, was that it was impractical to commute on your reserve days. If hired by Comair, I would want to get a crashpad in CIN, and commute home on my days off-If I had 2 days in a row off. Can someone confirm that this is workable? Did they really mean you are NOT ALLOWED to commute while on reserve?

No. It is NOT true that you are not allowed to commute home on days off. It is only an issue of practicality. I am able to do so only because I am a 2.5 hour drive from CVG.

Anyway, I'm on furlough, with, of course, no guarantee of going back, and if I could get on with Comair, it would be great! The commute would be very easy for me.

I don't know where you are furloughed from, but if you do come here, you would have to resign your seniority from your present employer. For me, COMAIR has been a great move. People here seem somewhat satisfied with the post-strike atmosphere . I hope this has been helpful.

Sign me TOSTWGBITA:
(Tired of substitute teaching and wanting to get back in the air.)
GB,WI
:rolleyes:

i don't ever remember being told in class i couldn't jumpseat. i went through class back in august and sept. i also don't remember getting offered any passes to go home on, either. frankly, if you have time to go home on the weekends you are a better man than me!

you get your id on the first day of class. that should enable you to jump as far as i know. i did it with no problem on the longer breaks.

i commute to and from reserve with no problem. all comair asks is that you make it to work on time. they also have a commuter policy in the new contract now, but that will pretty much only apply to lineholders.

the comments about pay are right on as you would expect.

leather jackets are a new item. paid for with your dime of course, but they are very nice. about $340 to $360...

overall comair is a great place to work. i left another regional to come here and i'm glad i did it. i'm very happy here...

oh yeah, fax is the best way to send in a resume. reference the human resources section of www.comair.com for the number.

good luck to everyone!

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the info. It's very helpful.

To all of you out there like me who are frustrated:
Things are bad if you're furloughed or looking for a job. Hang in there!
I applied in '91, which was terrible. The normal time to get hired then was 3-4,000, with 500+ ME. Things picked up, and I eventually got a job.

Things will pick up again for us. Be patient, and fly as much as you can. If you can't fly, fly a simulator/your computer and stay in the books, keep those apps out, so when you finally get called for an interview, you'll be ready.

You can do it!

Cliff
GB,WI

PS-You can choose to be a disgruntled, unhappy furloughed/not hired pilot, or you can choose to be a happy, contented furloughed/not hired pilot. It's up to you. (I know it's hard, sometimes I slip into the first category.)

Comair bases ?

Hi !

I have heard that Comair might open a base in DFW ?
anybody has any info on that , when that might happen ??

how hard would it be to commute from DFW to CVG while on IOE ? reserve ? or on line ?

Anaconda > what is the commuter policy for the lineholders you taked about ?

what is the typical schecdule days ON / days OFF ? while on reserve ? on line ?

thanks a lot for all the info.

Upgrade Times @ Comair

Just a quick question............

What is the upgrade time @ Comair since 9/11. I am currently a Captain on a JS31 (junkstream) w/ 3300 and 500 turbine PIC. etc. I know my current time means nothing when seniority is concerned. Just wanted to show that when my number was called I'd be ready to upgrade. Thanks in advance for your time.............

js31pilot

comair opening a base in DFW is one of the stronger rumors i have heard as of recently. at this point, it is just that, a rumor. allowing for this rumor control, the earliest i have heard that it might happen is this summer. others may have heard differently.

i don't know how hard it would be for you to commute between DFW and CVG since I don't travel on that route. my first recommendation is to always live in the city where you are based. i realize of course that not everyone can do that. each and every route is of course different, and depends on the frequency of flights, number of seats, etc. i commute BNA to MCO, which is a popular destination as you can imagine. it has been easy so far, but i have 911 to think for that. recently the flights have been getting more and more full.

your best bet is to talk to someone that commutes the route you are looking at. keep in mind that jumpseat rules have changed and make it that much more difficult to commute these days.

commuting on ioe...depends on how far in advance they give you your schedule and how often it changes. mine was not given very far in advance and it changed a couple of times and i didn't get to go home.

commuting on reserve...doable, but you only get 10 days off right now and may have to spend some of your off days commuting. as long as you show up for work you are good to go.

commuting on a line...no different than any other company, just show up for work on time.

i don't have the contract with me now, but the commuter policy in a nutshell is that you have a chance to list for two flights and if you can't get on one you can call scheduling and let them know. then you have to show up when you can. something like that, anyway. obviously you have to have flights on which you can list. this policy isn't particularly unique, i understand a lot of companies have them, but it helps. i don't believe the language specifically denies reserves the use of this policy, but i think it makes more sense for lineholders. i have ample time to get to MCO without invoking this policy.

right now, we get 10 days off a month for a guarantee. 4 movable days off, and two groups of three "hard" days off a
month. in july (i think) that goes to 11 days off, with one group of three and one of four hard days. 2003 it goes to 12 days off a month in 31-day months. i don't remember the breakdown.

typical schedule...well, we don't have hard lines, except for the continuous duty lines, so nothing is typical. you can bid for the trips and days off that you want and seniority determines whether you get it or not. i usually work six days, day off, work a couple more, then have four days off, and repeat. that's just me. you can bid any combo you want. there are one day, two day, three, four and five day trips. the possiblities are virtually unlimeted based on your imagination and seniority...

as for upgrade time...last i heard the company was advertising 18 to 24 months at the most recent interviews. i believe this is probably based on the number of aircraft we are expected to get along with all of the crews needed to fly them.

let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Latest resources

Back