• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair/major airline discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well heres the deal to be a major airlines you have to make 1 billion dollars on your operating expense, does not mean pilots will get paid like United, American etc. this is just for claffication to airlines, others might fall under, National carriers, regional carriers, but with this classification is strictly based on operating expense, not pilot wages, and if your going for a job just for money, then you have to research that.
antney

Please guys...

I'm a little curious why there is even a pissing match over the label "major." Why does the label matter? Are we not all pilots? Do we not all deserve work rules we can live with and salaries we can feed our families with? I'm not saying that RJ captains should be paid the same as 777 captains, but pissing on each other over whether the DOT's definition of "major" is appropriate or not does nothing for pilots. Division among our ranks makes it easier to take advantage of us, and one of the biggest divisions between pilots it the one that exists between "regional" pilots and "major" pilots. So let's not perpetuate this phenomenon with silly rhetoric about semantics.

I think the label matters so we, as pilots, can differentiate between the type of flying we will see at a specific airline.

Major Airlines fly large airplanes long distances. You can count on flying 4+ hour legs when you become senior enough at a major.

At a Regional, you can bet most flights will be under two hours and you will fly an airplane which holds less than 100 people.

I don't think the work rules should be any different between the two classifications of airlines, but I think the distinction (at least in everyday conversation) should remain as it has been.

Here's my opinion: Eagle may make a lot of money, but if you asked AMR whether they own 1 or 2 major airlines, I would assume they would say they run One Major and One Regional which feeds that major airline.

I agree with the previous post. These labels i.e. regional pilot/airline, major pilot/airline just divide an already divided pilot community. I think BA flies my "regional jet" as well as B-747's...so what are they labeled as a "regajor"? Hey I may have coined a new term.:confused:

BA don't fly E-RJs. BA bought a company called Briman a few years ago, they are the ones that fly the RJs, just like the deal with Comair and Delta.
The guys a Briman (Bryman?) make a lot more money than the guys a Comair, and the guys at Delta make a lot more money than the guys a British Airways.

Strange how that works out.
;)

Well, I guess I'll join this just for the fun...

Comair, Delta, ASA... Are we all doing the same thing?

I believe that the issue of Comair not being a Major is quite elementary... No they are not.

The topic of discussion should be, Is Comair unfairly paid? Yes, most definately, and so is ASA.

Let's not make ourselves enemies because we then allow the barriers to build rather than grow together as one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You might be a regional airline pilot if

Regardless of what the "DOT" definition says..

THE REALITY IS....if you are ANYTHING "EXPRESS"...you are working for a regional airline..

If your day involves 13 hours of duty and you still don't even leave a state, you're working for a regional airline

If you fly 8 legs a day, you're working for a regional airline..(sorry you SWA guys, i heard the major will be hiring soon)

If you carry a little blue bag with sandwiches made from home in the cockpit..you're working for a regional airline..

If you keep referring to a 737 as "THE WHALE", you're working for a regional airline..

If your airline takes 30 minutes to board 40 passengers, you're working for a regional airline..

If you request "lav service" and the guy on the radio suggests you do it youself...you're working for a regional airline..

If your cruising altitude is less than 5000', you're working for a regional airline

If at anytime in your career, you had a passenger sh!t in the airplane because your airplanes don't have a LAV, you're working for a regional airline..

If your airplane only requires the "displaced threshold" portion of the runway to takeoff..you're working for a regional airline

If the "cockpit door" on your airplane is a curtain..you're working for a regional airline (jetstream31)

If half of your company's airplane have 1 major airline's paint scheme, and the other half has another major airline's paint scheme, you're working for a regoinal airline..

If your company has pilot domiciles that only has 2 or 3 lines, you're working for a regional airline

If every seat on your airplane is both a "window" AND an "aisle" seat, you're working for a regional airline.

If the "heavies" at your company is only half the weight of 737, you're working for a regional airline..

If the only time you see more than one flight attendant working together is during a 3-some, you're working for a regional airline...

If you are following a turboprop on final and the tower tells you "caution wake turbulence"..you're working for a regional airline..

If you ever had a passenger asked you "is this thing safe"?? you're working for a regional airline..(i have to admit that really pisses me off when they do that)

If earplugs are passed out during the boarding process, you're working for a regional airline.

If your passengers have to take several bus rides to get to your airplane, you're working for a regional airline

If the lowest level of a typical jetway is still higher than the top of your airplane, you're working for a regional airline..

If your passengers use a jetway, then have to walk down the stairs to get to the ramp, then walk over to your airplane..well, you know who you're working for.

Merry Christmas to everyone !!

Last edited:
I'll tell ya one thing. I used to fly for Trans States and they're considered a national airline. What a joke, they're not squat. They're a fly on an elephants tookas. BTY, Comair is not a major, but keep telling yourself it is just to make yourself feel better. It's ok.

The Department of Transportation classifies a major airline as having over 1 billion dollars in revenue sales in one year, a national as having more than 100 million but less than 1 billion and a regional as having less than 100 million. We all refer to the major's as the big six but has nothing to do with annual revenue. Although this is the technically correct way to classify an airline , I haven't come across too many pilots who follow this line of classification, just a few beancounters use this.

This is typical pilot penis pugilism. Each of us knows our mission and salary, and most of us are even comfortable with it.

(however, the "list" was funny. How about this...if you can't go into town because none of the crew is old enough to rent a car, you work for a regional)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back