• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Dallas base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm, so the question now is, why have two separate WO airlines in Comair and ASA...why not combine the two?

Oh man, here we go again...:rolleyes:

Comair or ASA may augment SkyWest out west, but you will never
replace them. Just as SkyWest has entered the DFW hub to provide overlap to avoid another shutdown, a WO will do the same out here. The idea of WO taking over flies in the face of what is happening. The number of connection carriers is growing not shrinking.
Not sure if the big D learned from the strike or from Enron to not put all their eggs in one basket.
To the poster who heard the rumours all the time about SkyWest being replaced, don't invest too much in them. We also have our rumour mill. The craziest was that we were buying Comair from D, no creedence as far as I am concerned. Another was that we would be in Cincy before too long. It was based on an internal bid for a manager and supervisors for Cincy. The bid was on the street for a very short time, then closed without explanation. Possible, but not probable imo. Too bad tho, the Reds are my favorite team.

CF34-3B1 said:
The main reason to reverse the trend of increasing non-WO flying is simple: DAL gets to keep 100% of the revenue generated by the WOs. The pilots at the contract carriers could fly for free 26hrs a day and the WOs would still generate more profit for the corporation as a whole. The main reason you are seeing the non WOs expand is mostly:

1) The WOs can't handle the growth right now (Look at the delivery and training schedules at ASA/CMR as it is)

2) The threat of cheap labor waiting in the wings to steal the WOs flying is exactly what Fast Freddy is counting on to keep the troops in line as Sept approaches.

Once ASA's contract is settled, you'll see a huge Westward push by the WOs. The CMR DFW base is only the first step.

And if you REALLY wanna start a good (semi substantiated) rumor, try this: SLC closes in favor of LAS. No WX delays, huge final destination in its own right (now that the Olympics are over, who goes to SLC just to go there??) and a perfect jumping off point for a multi day West Coast trip in a CRJ700 to go after UAL Shuttle.

CF34: You are right on the money, and I have heard the rumour about SLC closing after the Olympics were over. But, I would not be surprised to see more lower cost contract carriers used against ASA before our contract is completed (likely mesa).

Russ said:
Comair or ASA may augment SkyWest out west, but you will never
replace them. Just as SkyWest has entered the DFW hub to provide overlap to avoid another shutdown, a WO will do the same out here. The idea of WO taking over flies in the face of what is happening. The number of connection carriers is growing not shrinking.
Not sure if the big D learned from the strike or from Enron to not put all their eggs in one basket.
To the poster who heard the rumours all the time about SkyWest being replaced, don't invest too much in them. We also have our rumour mill. The craziest was that we were buying Comair from D, no creedence as far as I am concerned. Another was that we would be in Cincy before too long. It was based on an internal bid for a manager and supervisors for Cincy. The bid was on the street for a very short time, then closed without explanation. Possible, but not probable imo. Too bad tho, the Reds are my favorite team.

Russ, Why would your management want to buy an ALPA UNION carrier? Why would DAL risk your becoming a union carrier, your lack of a UNION is what they like most about you.

Sleepy
That's why they call them rumours and not fact. The union thing is why it was easy to dismiss it. The reason I posted it was to show how off the mark rumours can be.
Being non union is a reason why D likes us, but we also provide them with a good product. That aside, I expect to see one of you out here soon. Bring your fishing equipment.

Here's some more fodder - ASA management ( Skip Barnette) acknowledged that Delta asked ASA to run a hub of E-120's out of LAX. ASA refused citing its inability to effectively run its operations out of two hubs, let alone three. All of the other stuff posted on this thread is interesting though.

Latest resources

Back