Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Hey, all, I'll be flying the Collings Foundation's C model P-51 for a few stops after the tour starts on Jan 18.

I'll be on in Sebring, Zephyrhills, Sarasota, Venice, and making the move in to Ft. Meyers.

Hit www.collingsfoundation.org for the tour schedule, come say hello or go for a ride! We'll have the B-17, B-24, Mustang, and the B-25 usually makes a few of the Fla stops (but no promises from me personally)

Carry on!

So I have two words for you;

Lucky. Bastard.

Yeah, that's right... but don't mind me, I'm just jealous. I'm flying a T-6 and a C-60 Lodestar with the CAF, which is pretty cool, but a P-51C? Hells bells man, that's just awesome.

Man, i would LOVE to fly a Lodestar. What a cool ride. Where is that based?

The C model is cool, and I think the prettier than the D. With the birdcage canopy it is a little hot and cramped at times buy, ya know, its worth it. :)

Rear cockpit. It is a complete cockpit, however; Everything but a gear handle.

Lodestar is in the CAF hangar at the West Houston Airport.

So, speaking of Houston... I gotsta get down to Ellington and take the F-4 around the patch a few times. That or the F-100, or even the A-4 would be sweet. Hell, gimme the keys to the T-33, I'm not picky! I'm gonna need to win a lottery for some gas money...

Yeah, those jets are pricey. But what a kick in the head it would be. They have a Huey gunship down there, too, that I got to go in last year. That was one helluva ride. Far and away one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do.

How is that Lodestar to fly?

Not that I'm a high time Lodestar driver, have 2-3 hours in it so far, but it's a nice flying airplane; relatively fast, handles well, seems easy enough to land with that big fat wing and huuuge fowler flaps. The cockpit is even sorta "modern" when compared to a DC-3, as in it has actual gear/flap handles correctly located on the pedestal, compared to the mysterious levers & handles on the floor of a -3. After we fly it a bit this year and I get some time in it I might be next for a type rating in it... sweet!

I was about to post pics of the ship but noticed this forum does't allow it, so here are a couple of links...

9fnote.jpg

23ie6c9.jpg

Very cool! I've always loved that airplane. Type ratings like that are fun to get. It is a kind of flying that 99% of pilots never get to do these days.

Sitting in Venice, Fl right now underneath the Mustang. Had 6 flights yesterday, all back to back, so I'm kind of glad today is a tad quieter. I think I have flown about 16 hours this week. Definitely been earning my barley pop at the end of the day. Tough duty we got!

Latest resources

Back