• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan...cut out of IAH???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very interesting. The weekly conference calls always say things are going very well down in IAH for the Colgan operation.

CLE145CA said:
The XJT business plan calls for an all-jet operation. The management here at XJT has indicated that it has no intentions of flying turboprops again. CAL approached XJT first about flying turboprops before they went to other companies. At that time, XJT declined to do this flying.

Well XJT employees just got "REAMED".....
the operation can handle it and now we have outstations closing and going to first Skywest and now colgan....
I have even heard managment is now worried Colgan will be taking more flying from XJT in the future....lovely!!!!

Colgan is having trouble with half of the skywest routes, it wouldnt be better for them with more routes. lets see them right now if skywest pulled out. Hopefully, this will be a good lesson for CAL. Just to be clear i am not dogging the pilot group at colgan.

Last edited:
rumorhasit said:
the operation can handle it and now we have outstations closing and going to first Skywest and now colgan....
I have even heard managment is now worried Colgan will be taking more flying from XJT in the future....lovely!!!!

Yeah, right!:rolleyes:

What problems are we talking about? Are the Saabs having problems flying in the heat and humidity? Wouldn't think so given the East Coast flying during the summer - pretty hot and humid there...

Superpilot92 said:
Colgan is having trouble with half of the skywest routes, it wouldnt be better for them with more routes. lets see them right now if skywest pulled out. Hopefully, this will be a good lesson for CAL. Just to be clear i am not dogging the pilot group at colgan.

You are right. It's not the pilots, they are good guys. It's an infrastructure problem at Colgan and a culture problem. "Do as much as possible with as little as possible". I see it every day. Currently, there are not enough mechanics to handle the continuous maintenance issues, there are not enough schedulers to handle the normal schedule, much less contingencies, and there are not enough crews to handle the flying they have committed to. By mid June, they will lose atleast 6 Beech FO's... all of whom are qualified or nearly qualified for Captain. All those out there waiting for Colgan to call, keep your phones on, its coming. They have been so CAL Saab focussed recently, that they forgot to keep the training supply line open for the Beech. I predict a rush, very soon, to get Beech FO's in the cockpit. If they start to lose some Beech Captain's, they are going to be in between a rock and a hard place cuz they will have not have enough FO's to supply the upgrade needs. Street captain time! The nice thing is that they can fly the FO's they do have up to 15 hour duty days w/o having to reduce their rest. They can get creative and work the dog crap out of the crews they do have. I guess the bottom line is, does CAL want a carrier that is just scraping by? I am not in IAH, so I don't know the day to day issues. I'm not in the Saab either, but I can say that the Beech's are always being fixed and almost always are carrying MEL's. Very frustrating for the crews!

Top two reasons why crews leave Colgan: MX frustrations and scheduling issues. Just my opinion. That being said, I think Colgan will always be around scraping up the smaller outstation business. It seems to be their forte. Like I said, they want to do as much as possible with as little as possible. No bells and whistles here.

For the record, I don't believe it.

My guess is someone heard about how Colgan had an engine failure (on the ground - not in flight). As it made its way through the various crack pipes, it has grown into Colgan is being cut.

Besides, as a CommutAir pilot, I can say with absolute assurity that we'd be the last to know, not the first. We even hear stuff about our own company from people at other companies.

rumorhasit said:

Not that this will really happen, but if it did, I believe CAL would be greatly disappointed with their decision. Express Jet is a very proud company in my view. They take pride in on-time performance, aircraft upkeep, and public perception. Business will always be business and I'm quite sure that routes will be subject to change from time to time, but honestly; I don't believe that Colgan can perform to Express Jet standards. It's like the JV team trying to compete with the varsity. It's usually not very fun to watch after the 1st quarter, it's over before half time, and you go away disappointed that you spent money on the ticket.

NEDude said:
For the record, I don't believe it.

My guess is someone heard about how Colgan had an engine failure (on the ground - not in flight). As it made its way through the various crack pipes, it has grown into Colgan is being cut.

Besides, as a CommutAir pilot, I can say with absolute assurity that we'd be the last to know, not the first. We even hear stuff about our own company from people at other companies.

You are probably right. That happened awhile ago though and the official company word was that a bird was ingested on t/o out of IAH. Kudos to the crew for bringing it back around safely.

beechcowboy said:
Not that this will really happen, but if it did, I believe CAL would be greatly disappointed with their decision. Express Jet is a very proud company in my view. They take pride in on-time performance, aircraft upkeep, and public perception. Business will always be business and I'm quite sure that routes will be subject to change from time to time, but honestly; I don't believe that Colgan can perform to Express Jet standards. It's like the JV team trying to compete with the varsity. It's usually not very fun to watch after the 1st quarter, it's over before half time, and you go away disappointed that you spent money on the ticket.

Exactly...someone said recently that CAL is unhappy with the performance of Colgan...I agree with you 100% no one can do it better than XJT but with the industry I just hope completion and performance remains more important to CAL than the bottom line...

With the mergers and competion from "other" regionals CPA is going to get interesting...say bye bye to profit sharing....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back