• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cirrus SR-20 Accident

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I'd jump at the chance to fly a Cirrus. Everyone I've talked to that's flown one really liked it.

The parachute system was an unfortunate design choice. It's heavy and expensive in an airplane that is already very heavy (2000 lb empty!! for the small engine version) and expensive. They should absolutely make the BRS system an option. The company claims the BRS system wieghs around 80lbs and with the additional structure it must add well over 100lbs to the empty wieght of the airplane. I can't imagine using it in anything short of a major structual failure.

Scott

Im not sure who manufactures this parachute that was on the Cirrus, it may be the same one that can be installed on the Wheelers.

It is mostly popular with the ultralight type aircraft but as off a few years back I have seen them avialable for much bigger aircraft now.

I was talking to one of the venders at sunfun this year and it seems that there is alot more testing and data now for such an application.

Maybe some of you have seen the footage of the
C-150 that they were using to test it with. It doesnt seem like a bad idea but I would only think you would use such a device for some structural faliure or maybe or you lose your engine in the middle of the night with no place to land.

But at any rate, they are not desighned to save the aircraft by no means, just the occupants.

LR25

Cirrus Facts

I love the way the truth gets bent around on these forums!

I to have flown the Cirrus. THE best single engine aircraft produced to date in its class. We have a Mooney 201. The Cirrus has the same performance, range and load capability, except it is about a foot wider and has fixed gear. Not to mention the Avionics!

As stated above, they DID NOT loose two chief pilots in the development of the Cirrus. Overmeyer was lost in a ST50 (VK30 Varient) The other fellow was not chief pilot and after looking at all the facts it is my opinion that he shouldn't have crashed.

Heavy??? I don't thing so.
Expensive??? Price a 172/182/Mooney Eagle/Tiger or whatever is around now. The Cirrus is CHEAP!

Its a safe aircraft. It is a pleasure to fly. If people we're smart, there would be thousands of Cirrus's flying around, training, etc.

Since the Cirrus came out, the fact that Cessna has sold a single 172 proves that people are stupid!!

DA2000,

>Heavy??? I don't thing so.
>Expensive??? Price a 172/182/Mooney Eagle/Tiger or whatever >is around now. The Cirrus is CHEAP!

I really like the Cirrus, but it is heavy. The gross weight is a solid 600 lbs more (25%) than a 172 or a tiger, but it has the same useful load as a 172 and slightly less than a tiger. I've been told that this leads to poor climb performance at higher altitudes or temps. Cirrus could probably save 200lbs by deleting the BRS and going with a 2 bladed prop.

I can't believe that a individual would by a new 172 or 182 now that the cirrus and lancairs are available either. The problem is that you still have to wait a year plus to get a cirrus/lancair whereas you can fly off in a 172 right now. Riddle, UND, etc buy 172s because they can order them 50 at a time and take delivery quickly and they don't care if it's fast or pretty.

Scott

"Since the Cirrus came out, the fact that Cessna has sold a single 172 proves that people are stupid!!"

?????

Umm there is one little thing that you are forgetting every CFI must undergo spin training. Well you can't get that is a Cirrus, spin prohibited.

The Cirrus is a great family plane, it has that added bit of safety that a rich family man would want. But not all of us can afford a new plane. Right now I would be happy for a 1973 PA-28 or a used glider that is a fraction of the price for a new (or used at this point) Cirrus.

Latest resources

Back