Challenger question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flying_gringo

I'm considering a job flying early challengers... 600's and 601's - and I know nothing about them... anyone have any experience with them they would like to share?

your feedback would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

What exactly would you like to know? I flew 600's on and off. The only complaint that I had were the Lycoming engines, temp. sensitive, underpowered and were known for their mechanical problems. Otherwise it was a great plane to fly, it beat flying around in the tiny Lears. The 601's had GE engines, I don't know anything about their performance.

some questions...

I was just curious about general things - is it a fun airplane?

any really bad habits?

every airplane has its good and bad points, but when all put together was this one of the more enjoyable airplanes - or is it just a dog?

anything I should brush up on before class?

any pitfalls to watch for?

I've never even been for a ride in a challenger - will I like it?

thanks for your thoughts...

I used to fly a 601-1b (601 with cf-34-3a engines and 45K mgtow) without a tail tank. Not a bad plane. Lot's-O-power up to about 16K' (remember the CF34 was developed for the A-10 and S-3, niether designed to operate much above the high teens). Quiet impressive runway performance (with carbon on carbon brakes). Like the fellow above said, nice roomy cockpit, no big problems. It has triple redundancy pretty much through out, but as many Gulfstream drivers will point out, it needs triple redundant systems because they are prone to small failures. The newer airplanes have a better reputation for reliability than the 600 and early 601s. I enjoyed flying it. It was not nearly as much of a "pilot's airplane" as the Learjets, but the room, APU and excellent HVAC made up for it. It took a little getting used to coming down the glide path with the nose below the horizon in a jet airplane.

Good Luck and enjoy,
Postflight

Latest resources

Back