CFIing on a 135 flight???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I'm going to be flying freight in a Caravan this weekend and am going to be taking along a buddy of mine. Two 91 legs and one 135 leg. I planned on giving a little instruction on the 91 legs covering systems, procedures, and aircraft familiarization. No problem there, but here is my question: Is it possible for me to give instruction on the 135 leg of the flight? or is this prohibited in the regs? I would obviously be acting (and logging) PIC, and he would be logging PIC as a student that is appropriately rated. In case you are wondering, the company is allowing my buddy on the flight as a "package handler".

Jim is correct. You can "talk him through" anything you want on the 135 leg, as long as he never touches the flight controls. I found this very frustrating when I was in his position, but to be totally LEGAL, he can't fly ANY 135 leg, just the 91 stuff.

Thanks guys, that's what I suspected but I wanted to see if there was some loophole or something. There are lots of pilots on this board that are a lot more creative at interpreting the regs than I am. Oh well, worth a try! I appreciate your input.

What does touching the controls have to do with instructing? Someone might see that as a bit funny, since you would be giving someone instruction who was qualified to fly the aircraft, when you might not be. But, I believe it is legal.

?

Most instruction involves the student in flying the airplane, which he is prohibited from doing on a 135 leg unless he is on the certificate.

I think it is great that you are helping a fellow pilot get time. I remember doing the Fri evening empty legs back when I was a Saluki . . . . I am still grateful to the pilot who gave me that opportunity, and it was a real confidence builder watching myself flying that Chieftain, which seemed like "heavy iron" at the time.

I think it is important though, to keep the 135 legs distinct and separate, from the 91 legs.

As you know, the Capt. sets the tone for the cockpit, and the "instruction" you can be giving to your fellow pilot on the revenue legs is by setting the example of complete professionalism- ie. keeping the legs operating under their respective regs. adhering to the sterile cockpit during taxi, and all non-cruise segment portions of the flight (even though not required), it shows professionalism and lays the groundwork for CRM and other crew-concepts.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
As a former Part 135 Instructor/Check Airman, I can tell you to the best of my recollection (it's been a couple of years), that during the Part 135 legs, you cannot perform training unless it is company required IOE. This would mean that the student would need to complete company basic indoc, flight training and checkride. When all of those requirements are met, IOE may commence when given by a designated company instructor pilot.

This was an issue at the company that I worked for, since we had many low-time pilots in the right seat who were trying to build as much time as possible. I asked our POI about this sort of thing during my check airman checkride and she told me what I stated above.

Now, there's nothing saying that you can't pass along information during the Part 135 leg to your friend, but no training may occur during that leg. I'm sure your friend will be happy just to be there on the 135 leg and will love the training you give him on the 91 legs.

Hope that helps. Safe flying,
C425Driver

Latest resources

Back