CFI Ratings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

402driver

I am currently working for a 135-operation full time, however, I was thinking about getting my CFI, CFII, and MEI so that I can instruct part time. I have several friends, who could train and sign me off, so I can get the ratings pretty cheap. The question is this:

If I earn my CFI, CFII and MEI but do not acquire a lot of dual given, how will this look to prospective airline employers? Good, Bad, or what?

Thanks!

P.S. To those of you who want to start another debate on PWings, etc. (you know who you are!), PLEASE do not do so on this post. I am genuinely interested in this topic.

Mahalo Nui Loa:cool:

Actually, I really really dought that the airlines will look that closely and how many hours it took you to get your CFI or whatever. All they see is that you have the rating. How many times it took you to pass is alot more important then the hours it took you. I wouldn't worry about it. If you can get it cheap then go for it. It's another feather in your cap when you decide to move on.
Good Luck.

The fact that your already flying 135 and then decided to continue your ratings while activaly flying looks really good also. Alot of people will quit trying to add to their ratings after they get their first flying gig.

402driver,

It won't matter a whit if you instruct 100 hours or a thousand hours, with respect to how it makes you look. Strive to be the best instructor you can be; someone who isn't trying to "build hours," but who takes a genuine interest in the student. Strive to be a great instructor, and teacher. It will provide a little extra income, a great reward in terms of satisfaction and accomplishment, and it's something you can do for the rest of your life as you will.

Good luck!!

CFI benies

Hey, my friend, now you're cooking with gas! 328dude is right on. You don't need to give 3500 hours of dual as I have to derive the benefit of a CFI. The CFI is another, excellent credential to put on your resume. It is a great credential to offer to a company. It demonstrates that you have acquired and achieved a high degree of learning. It demonstrates that you can communicate your learning to others. Instruct even a few hours and sign a couple of people off and you will have demonstrated communication, teaching and human relations skills.

A CFI may open the door to the training department at some company, and the back door to a crew slot. At Mesa's flight school, instructors are eligible for upgrade to the line.

You can only benefit by earning the rating and if you can do it on the cheap, so much the better. Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
Go for the CFI. The fact that you were able to build your hours without instructing so far, and still wanting to get your CFI speaks highly of your drive and desire to learn. It can only help you. Even if you don't instruct much, it still helps round out your qualifications and experience. Best of luck!

Good Idea

Thanks for the feedback. I am gonna start exploring the CFI thing more (primarily, how I am going to be able to squeeze in the training between my flying schedule and college).

Thanks again for the good feedback, I always learn something on this board!

Aloha:cool:

Latest resources

Back