• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI needs a BFR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for clarifying that. I realized I omitted that from the regs. language.

Too bad for the CFI who may have been operating under an expired flight review.

Can anyone verify this as I sit here sweating?

Don't sweat it. I, and many CFI's, have had that same mis-understanding. The FSDO is not going to 'come after' you if you had that mis-understanding. It might be a problem for you if you have an accident and the insurance co. wants a way out or a FSDO inspector gets it into his personal life to 'get you' on something, but that would mean you have invited his/her wrath on something else, usually, so it isn't anything to be overly concerned about.

However, to clarify on the idea of getting an examiner to sign off on the FR on the checkride; well, the checkride isn't dual, and would not fit the requirement of 1 hour dual, and most examiners wouldn't want to assume liability of signing off a FR.

The right way is to get the instructor who signed you off for the checkride to also sign off a FR.

CFI's do need FR's. I gave a DE a FR once--it seemed silly and the easiest money I ever made--but necessary/required by the FAR's. You never know, you might learn something new!

Don't sweat it. I, and many CFI's, have had that same mis-understanding. The FSDO is not going to 'come after' you if you had that mis-understanding. It might be a problem for you if you have an accident and the insurance co. wants a way out or a FSDO inspector gets it into his personal life to 'get you' on something, but that would mean you have invited his/her wrath on something else, usually, so it isn't anything to be overly concerned about.

However, to clarify on the idea of getting an examiner to sign off on the FR on the checkride; well, the checkride isn't dual, and would not fit the requirement of 1 hour dual, and most examiners wouldn't want to assume liability of signing off a FR.

The right way is to get the instructor who signed you off for the checkride to also sign off a FR.

I've been in this boat myself...

You might be able to get the CFI's who signed off your instructor ride(s) to fill out a BFR entry for the same date as the ride signoff...that's only logical.

I don't think it's an insurance problem if you have a valid FR when the accident happens...it doesn't matter about past history at that point. So get FR before you fly again.

There may also be a statute of limitations on FAR enforcement, I doubt they could get you on a something that happened years ago, assuming you are now in compliance...the more time that passes, the better off you are. You might want to fill out a nasa form and keep the receipt forever in case you ever get questioned on it.

To further the demonstrate the point that a CFI Certificate is not the same as a pilot certificate, all of you CFIs please look at the back of your CFI Certificate at the "LIMITATIONS" section which states:

Valid Only When Accompanied By PILOT CERTIFICATE No. XXXXXXXXX

This limitation makes it very clear that a CFI Certificate is seperate and different from a Pilot Certificate.

Dru

From the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) published by FAA Employee John Lynch, at the time AFS-840 of the Airman Certification Branch...who was responsible for writing and administering the regulation:

QUESTION: The particular question is whether a flight instructor who passes a flight instructor practical test (for initial issuance or a CFI rating addition or for a reinstatement) is or is not exempt from needing a § 61.56 Flight Review for the next two years, since the reg. specifically says PILOT proficiency check.” § 6l.56 d - allows this exemption for a person who has"... passed a PILOT proficiency check.." not needing to accomplish a flight review for the next 2 years.

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.56(d); If the examiner also evaluates the applicant’s piloting skills then YES, “. . . a flight instructor practical test (for initial issuance or a CFI rating addition or for a reinstatement) . . .” would meet the requirements of a § 61.56 Flight Review. However, to make sure the applicant gets credit for successful completion of the Flight Review, the examiner should record that the § 61.56 Flight Review was satisfactorily completed in the applicant’s logbook.

§ 61.56(d) states:
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

QUESTION: Does a Part 141 annual check also count in lieu of a flight review?

ANSWER: Ref. § 61.56(d); As is the case in the Answer to Question 1 above, if the Chief Instructor, Assistant Chief Instructor, or Check Instructor evaluates the flight instructor’s piloting skills then the answer is YES, a Part 141 annual check would count for a § 61.56 Flight Review. However, to make sure the applicant gets credit for successful completion of the Flight Review, the Chief Instructor, Assistant Chief Instructor, or Check Instructor who conducts the check should record that the § 61.56 Flight Review was satisfactorily completed in the applicant’s logbook.

So...lemme get this straight, now. You're tellin' me...what you're tellin' me is...that a CFI renewal ride, an actual flight check in an airplane...that don't count as a BFR? Thass what you're sayin'?

FSDO disagrees

I just got off the phone with the CLT FSDO and they are saying that any additional RATING qualifies as a BFR. i.e. instructor RATING. Someone clrify this for me before I go blow $100 bucks on a stupid BFR.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back