Cessna's "New" Caravan????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I heard that Cessna is going to be coming out with a new Caravan in a couple years. It is going to have retractable landing gear and 1000 SHP PT6. I couldn't find anything about it on their webpage. Anybody else hear about this?

I wouldn't doubt it. There is an article in one of the GA mags that has a "Corporate Caravan" with 8 pax leather seating and goodies to make a descent corp flyer if you want to pay 1.5 mil for a 8 people to go 200 mph.

I found this on another message board. Maybe it is true?

CARVAVAN 1000RG ON SCHEDULE FOR FIRST FLIGHT Wichita, KS, December 12, 2001 –

The development of the new Cessna Caravan RG with a 1,000 SHP PT6A-47A is proceeding on schedule. The remaining certification and accelerated life cycle tests are being conducted concurrently on full-size Caravan 1000 RG airframes that were built on production tooling. These structural test articles will be used to complete several proof-test conditions prior to first flight. Performed earlier in the certification process than previous Caravans, these efforts will help assure that customer delivery commitments are met following development of this newest model. Recently accomplished Caravan milestones include installation of the Honeywell EPIC avionics system, completion of landing gear certification tests, and installation of a Pratt & Whitney PT6A-47A engine. With the largest cabin in its class, the Caravan 1000 RG provides eight-passenger, 1,100 nm range with NBAA IFR reserves, and outstanding runway performance – all at a traditional turboprop price. Assembly of the Caravan 1000 RG prototype is well underway, with first flight scheduled for the first quarter of 2002. FAA certification will be awarded in late 2003, and first customer deliveries will start early in 2004. Cessna Aircraft Company is a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT), a $13 billion global, multi-industry company with market-leading businesses in Aircraft, Automotive, Industrial Products, Fastening Systems and Finance. Additional information is available on www.textron.com.

WOW, that's really neat. I flew the Caravan for a while and it is a dream to fly. I always said that it would be a perfect plane if only a bit faster. Looks like Cessna has done thier homework again!

Yeah but they are behind the curve if they think its going to compete with the Pilatus. Wonder what market they are going to go after with the retractable version.

Humble

Good point Humble. If it has a decent speed 'and' the bush or short runway characteristics of the current Caravan, Cessna might find a market. It'd have to be some pretty beefy retract gear though.

ILLINI said:
I found this on another message board. Maybe it is true?

CARVAVAN 1000RG ON SCHEDULE FOR FIRST FLIGHT Wichita, KS, December 12, 2001 –

The development of the new Cessna Caravan RG with a 1,000 SHP PT6A-47A is proceeding on schedule. The remaining certification and accelerated life cycle tests are being conducted concurrently on full-size Caravan 1000 RG airframes that were built on production tooling. These structural test articles will be used to complete several proof-test conditions prior to first flight. Performed earlier in the certification process than previous Caravans, these efforts will help assure that customer delivery commitments are met following development of this newest model. Recently accomplished Caravan milestones include installation of the Honeywell EPIC avionics system, completion of landing gear certification tests, and installation of a Pratt & Whitney PT6A-47A engine. With the largest cabin in its class, the Caravan 1000 RG provides eight-passenger, 1,100 nm range with NBAA IFR reserves, and outstanding runway performance – all at a traditional turboprop price. Assembly of the Caravan 1000 RG prototype is well underway, with first flight scheduled for the first quarter of 2002. FAA certification will be awarded in late 2003, and first customer deliveries will start early in 2004. Cessna Aircraft Company is a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT), a $13 billion global, multi-industry company with market-leading businesses in Aircraft, Automotive, Industrial Products, Fastening Systems and Finance. Additional information is available on www.textron.com.

That, my friends, is BS, plain and simple. Note the erie similarities to the following Cessna press release http://www.cessna.com/news/article.chtml?ID=Sy73DK7pZbYmUEVh4nT7XMTK4ub6YCTg8cFym5EOoxBNMyqXYC:

CITATION SOVEREIGN ON SCHEDULE FOR FIRST FLIGHT Wichita, KS, December 12, 2001 –

The development of the new Citation Sovereign is proceeding on schedule.

The remaining certification and accelerated life cycle tests are being conducted concurrently on full-size Sovereign airframes that were built on production tooling. These structural test articles will be used to complete several proof-test conditions prior to first flight. Performed earlier in the certification process than previous Citations, these efforts will help assure that customer delivery commitments are met following development of this newest model.

Recently accomplished Sovereign milestones include installation of the Honeywell EPIC avionics system, completion of landing gear certification tests, and installation of Pratt & Whitney PW306C engines.

With the largest cabin in its class, the Sovereign provides eight-passenger, 2,500 nm range with NBAA IFR reserves, coast-to-coast capability at high-speed cruise, and outstanding runway performance – all at a traditional midsize price.

Assembly of the Sovereign prototype is well underway, with first flight scheduled for the first quarter of 2002. FAA certification will be awarded in late 2003, and first customer deliveries will start early in 2004.

Cessna Aircraft Company is a subsidiary of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT), a $13 billion global, multi-industry company with market-leading businesses in Aircraft, Automotive, Industrial Products, Fastening Systems and Finance. Additional information is available on www.textron.com.

Cardinal -

Nice catch! I read that article on the Citation Sovereign, but I hadn't noticed the similarities. Darn, I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Latest resources

Back