Cessna 152 vs. 172

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
172 v. 152

I learned to fly in a 172. I got my instrument and commercial in a 172 (I got an Arrow to demonstrate the high-performance/complex stuff). Then, I trained a number of students in 172s. I don't think I have even 50 hours in 152s, but I've flown them enough to evaluate them as a training airplane.

Both aircraft will do the job. Both aircraft have trained thousands of pilots. Both are used at the name-brand schools and the lesser-knowns. Both are very basic aircraft. I'd go with a 172 because you do have more power, which is an advantage in the summer. You can practice the full range of commercial maneuvers in a 172. I remember I tried lazy 8s and chandelles in a 152, without success. Also, a 172 is more comfortable. If you can find an IFR-equipped 172, that's fine, because you can stay in that same airplane all the way through your Instrument. The others are correct about the (non)spin characteristics of a 172 v. a 152. But if you load a 172 right and the one in question is certificated in the Utility category, you can get it to spin. We had an instructor at Riddle who took our CFI students up for spin training. He could get a 172 wound up really tight.

You''ll be very happy if you can get in a Pen-Yan-modified 180 hp 172. The others are fine, but still underpowered. The 180-hp airplane is a 172 the way it was meant to be.

Good luck with your choice.

PS-I highly recommend that you do not change airplane types during your Private training. In other words, if you choose 152 stay with 152. You don't want to contend with different control characteristics while you're trying to learn how to fly. You want everything to stay as consisten as possible. After you get your Private, you can check out in different types.

Last edited:
Its not my plane, I know nothing of the owner, but I am told at best it will do light aerobatics with this guy. Its going to have an EFIS, engine monitor, Garmin 430, and back up alt, and ASI.

The paint job hopefully will look good (its a test orange scheme), right now we have to figure out whats wrong with a fitting on the oil cooler. Its leaking more than it normally does.

Oh the best part its a Big engine model (T-28B) 1425 hp, that will be a joy to fly. Though I believe its post mort. so its expiermental with all those d@mn restirctions.

Personally I prefer the 150/152. I have about the same time in the 150/152 as I do the 172, but more time instructing in the 150.

One thing I like for beginners is the 150 uses a larger attitude change to get a climb. In the 172 a slight change would give a 500ft/min climb and I would say "Did you see that change in attitude?" No. So what I ended up doing is putting the aircraft in level flight and having them make a mark on the windscreen with a pencil. If the mark moved, so would they. The 150 being "underpowered" made the pitch changes easier to see. Once they got used to it, it didn't matter what plane they were in.

Another thing about the 150 is 40 degrees of flaps. (The 152 only has 30.) This really made the student more aware the power curve and getting every bit of performance . Those big 'ol barn doors really provide allot of drag! One of my students ended up going to a big FL school and had a runway incursion followed by stuck flaps on a 172. He was glad he had some experience with "stuck" flaps on go-arounds!

As far as comfort, yes the 172 is bigger. I'm 6 ft and 210 lbs, but after I get in I don't think the 150 is that cramped. But I've always preferred aircraft that I sit in rather than up to. Now, if I'm with a student my size or bigger I will point out that with a useful load of 496 that doesn't leave any room for fuel. Many of my students are teenagers, so size isn't a problem.

It all depends on what your priorities are. Some want a brand new leather seat, IFR, GPS equipped 172 at $100-110/hr. Personally I've always had to work multiple jobs to earn my ratings. So to me I would rather save the $30/hr by using the 150/152 and then at the end take 3-5 hrs to transition to the 172. They won't even use the GPS until later anyway. Just my $.02 for what ever it's worth.

In any case your going to love flying. Just make sure to find a good instructor that will challenge you and allow yourself to have fun once in a while rather than train all the time. Make it your goal to become a safe pilot, not a good pilot. Being a good pilot will come with time and experience.

Geigo

I got my private in a C-152. I think that it makes a person a better pilot because of being kinda "too agile" and requires someone to be "on the ball" faster. Also, with the simple avionics pannel, come a simple ride at the end. You can't be asked to track the NDB when there is none in the A/C. (As an example) You can get checked out in the C-172 when you can carry passengers. No need to spend the money when pre-private, unless you want to.

Just my thoughts.

Latest resources

Back