• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathy Pacific questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious how it is to fly for CX as an American? There's definitely a slight anti-American feel (particularly for ex RJ pilots) at EK and I've heard it's much worse at CX. Any truth to the rumor?

This Cathay ad popped up today but doesn't have a date on it so it's hard to know how current it is:

http://www.aviationjobs.me/2014/12/...onal-candidates-cathay-pacific-hong-kong.html

But, the program is listed on their careers website:

Advanced Entry Programme

This is a 31-week programme for people who possess an ICAO CPL and have in excess of 250 hours flight time in specified categories.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/careers/jobs-in-the-air/pilots.html

P.S. OK, if you drill down to the app itself, this appears. So, at least they appear to be doing some hiring...maybe ? But likely no more than an idle curiosity to most people here:

We are currently accepting applications for Second Officers based in Hong Kong via the Transition Training, Advanced Entry and Cadet Pilot Programmes. Kindly note only applicants who hold a Hong Kong permanent ID card are being considered for the Cadet Pilot Programme.

Last edited:
It is a tough interview, at least it was in 2005.

A fairly difficult written test and a round of stump the dummy questions. I thought I was back in USAF flight school and if I got one question wrong, it was an unsat for the day and you didn't fly.

I didn't go to the second interview as I took my present corporate gig instead.

It is a tough interview, at least it was in 2005.

Yes, that's what lots of people said. I know a guy with pretty serious credentials who didn't make the cut.

I'd like to know how much they expect a 250 hour pilot to know. If they concentrate on academics, I guess they could expect a lot of book knowledge ?

I think it would be very difficult for a low time pilot. Unless they tailor the interview for the experience level. I studied for months for the test and questions.

Neither one of my interviewers was Mr. Chuckles, I tell you that. I did not get a warm and fuzzy at any point during the interview.

I was extremely surprised to have passed the test as well as I did and to invited to the next round. But the 2005 salary offered was a hell of lot less than I was offered by my current job, so adios Cathay...

Neither one of my interviewers was Mr. Chuckles, I tell you that. I did not get a warm and fuzzy at any point during the interview.

Stuff like that puts a negative face/perception on an airline. :nuts: And the interviewers are the face of the airline at that point...in those circumstances.

I can't see any advantage in interviewers behaving like that vs being cordial, relaxed and trying to put applicants at ease. Make the testing as hard as they want but...
You young hard chargers can go slay the dragons. I'm here rootin' for ya.:beer:
[I bet people are still knocking down the door to get in there, though]

When I was on active duty, my goal in life was to fly the 747-400. Now I couldn't care less and a new Gulfstream has much better avionics anyway.

Just pay me and hopefully I will survive to retire again.

Latest resources

Back