Cathay Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cr7driver

Can anyone currently flying for Cathay be kind enough to elaborate on the new hire medical exam that is conducted on the second interview.
What do they look for? Is it a disqualfying part of the of the interview process? Do you have to go through the same process every year or six months to get a medical certificate in HK? Is it as intensive as the JAL or ANA medical that is given o their candidates?
Basically any info will help.
Thanks for your time.

You go through a standard Hong Kong first class medical. Very similar to FAA 1st class except evryone does an EKG. After that is done you meet with a doctor for a general physical. Pee test and blood test to check for the hiv.

Thats it.

Oh yeah, almost all of us had to pee twice for some reason.

The Cathay doctors told me it was a mandatory rectal exam. Mine took place in a dimly lit room with candles. I found it very strange that the doctor had both hands on my shoulders while performing the exam. Oh well. I passed and got the job.

The Cathay doctors told me it was a mandatory rectal exam. Mine took place in a dimly lit room with candles. I found it very strange that the doctor had both hands on my shoulders while performing the exam. Oh well. I passed and got the job.

....Maybe, you shouldnt have posted that.... :)

Does anyone know if they will accept an FAA letter regarding light signal testing for color deficiency?

No, they will not accept an equivalency test for colour blindness. It's Isihara or out.

That is not correct; as I understand it, they will accept some color vision deficiancy. However, colorblindess is not acceptable.

I work at Cathay. The Principal medical Officer is a friend. I called him before posting my initial response. The Isihara is the only accepted methodology for colour blindness testing. Trust me.

I work at Cathay. The Principal medical Officer is a friend. I called him before posting my initial response. The Isihara is the only accepted methodology for colour blindness testing. Trust me.

If that is true, then why do they have a Lantern in the medical office? CX will hire you if you are deficient, but you must pass the Lantern. I promise.

In 18 years at Cathay, annual (then, for a while, semi-annual) medicals, I have never seen a lantern nor heard of anyone being tested by one.

Latest resources

Back