• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just applied today...
8200total
7000 turbine
3000PIC turbine
757/767 typed and current (International)
I guess my question is how long does it usually take to get a call? Where is the 1st interview? I know these are pretty basic questions, but i'm not as familiar with Cathay as I used to be. Thanks in advance...

Hired in June with 4000 TT
PIC turbine 600 (ERJ 145).

Applied in 2006 (early) called in April first phase (so around 1 year).

Hired in June with 4000 TT
PIC turbine 600 (ERJ 145).

Applied in 2006 (early) called in April first phase (so around 1 year).

Are you hired as an FO or SO? How is your experience with Cathy so far? Did they give you an idea what the plan is for futher hiring? How do you think the proposed COS will affect you?

Sorry about so many questions. but a brief take on what one can expect and one is expected of will be very much appreciated. Thanks in adv.

Hired as FO (Also other 2 compadres from my same company with even less experience).

Went to HK for phase 2, meet two Canadians pilots(super nice guys) flying for China Airlines both on the 744with tons of international exp., neither of them was hired.
Apparently the Sim is the deal once in HK.

Haven' t started yet, class jan,feb. '08.

Apparently still hiring (just interviewd another couples of guy i know).

COS '08 repercussions?? Well, where else I will be going to??

UAL making $31 x hr. freezing my rear end in ORD on reserve on the 737/500 overnight in ROC, ALB,SYR?
no benefits, 1 week vacation for a while with the company trying to merge with no NEW Aircraft on order and morale below the soles??
Or maybe USAIR on the mighty EMB 190 with 5-6 legs x day in and out PHL. at $41 x hr. with 2 bucks per year raise. Then age 65 will go into effect and see yah (stuck in the a/c for 5 years before I can move).

PS I am a very PRO UNION person (growing up in Europe also helps), but I have to say ALPA has done absolutely nothing for nobody and I pay $120 buck per month to those clowns....

come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just applied today...
8200total
7000 turbine
3000PIC turbine
757/767 typed and current (International)
I guess my question is how long does it usually take to get a call? Where is the 1st interview? I know these are pretty basic questions, but i'm not as familiar with Cathay as I used to be. Thanks in advance...

NAAPilot,

With the times you posted i would guess within a few monthsto get the call, possibly sooner. It also depends on when they plan to come to the U.S to conduct the next round of interviews.

Interview most likely SFO or NYC.

The previous poster is on the low time side for an F/O position, perhaps the reason for the long wait.

Get studying!

Good Luck

Last edited:
As of today, we have 110 airplanes on the CX side. We currently have orders for 48 widebody aircraft, 30 777-300ers, 10 747-8 freighters, 6 744 erfs, and 2 744 bcfs, I believe. We will be retiring 8 742s and I think returning 3 A346s. That gives a net growth of around 37 aircraft in the next 4.5 years. According to the folks in hiring, they are planning around 250/yr for the next few years. Who knows what the mix between SO and FO will be. Competitive times are going down quite a bit since we are having some trouble drumming up new recruits. I simply can't imagine why :rolleyes:. I hope this helps some, and if you have some questions, post them here and I'll try and help. Cpt. Underpants is however the authority, and the info he passed to me helped me getting hired for sure!! Don't mean to put you in the spotlight!! :)

box

As of today, we have 110 airplanes on the CX side. We currently have orders for 48 widebody aircraft, 30 777-300ers, 10 747-8 freighters, 6 744 erfs, and 2 744 bcfs, I believe. We will be retiring 8 742s and I think returning 3 A346s. That gives a net growth of around 37 aircraft in the next 4.5 years. According to the folks in hiring, they are planning around 250/yr for the next few years. Who knows what the mix between SO and FO will be. Competitive times are going down quite a bit since we are having some trouble drumming up new recruits. I simply can't imagine why :rolleyes:. I hope this helps some, and if you have some questions, post them here and I'll try and help. Cpt. Underpants is however the authority, and the info he passed to me helped me getting hired for sure!! Don't mean to put you in the spotlight!! :)

box

I'm confused. Normally a large number of aircraft on order, especially widebodies, would cause a flood of applications. And, judging by what I've heard of the schedules, it sounds like a pretty nice QOL can be had right off the bat. If that's true, why do I hear about so many people bitching/quitting and why? Where is the grass greener?

-Moose

PS - speaking of the DEFO position.

Last edited:
NAAPilot,

With the times you posted i would guess within a few monthsto get the call, possibly sooner. It also depends on when they plan to come to the U.S to conduct the next round of interviews.

Interview most likely SFO or NYC.

The previous poster is on the low time side for an F/O position, perhaps the reason for the long wait.

Get studying!

Good Luck
Thanks very much for the information. Any suggestions as to what exactly to study? Need something to do on these Bishkek layovers....Thanks again for all the help...

Thanks very much for the information. Any suggestions as to what exactly to study? Need something to do on these Bishkek layovers....Thanks again for all the help...

No Problem. Start with the their website and gather as much info about the company history, finance, aircraft orders.

Any Book with aerodynamics, Handling the Big Jets, Jet engines...etc.

Get as much gouge however DO NOT limit yourself to what others are being asked, use it as a guidline only.

Personally i thought the book Checklist for Success was good. The HR part is just as important as the Tech. I think this is where most people get the boot.

Latest resources

Back