Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starvingcfi

CpApAwM
just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. i'm a cfi in florida and i'm doing a decent job of building some hours, as well as teaching my students well. however, (i'm sure i'll get a lot of crap for saying this) i'm really not happy. i don't enjoy teaching and i want to move on as soon as possible. my career goal is ups. has been. hopefully will be. so, obviously i need to get on with a 121 to expedite my climb up the ladder. also, please spare me the suggestions of towing banners, flying divers, or flying traffic. i'm not willing to make a horizontal career move. my goal is strictly vertical.

question is, when should i begin applying? i've got around 550 total with only 15-20 multi. i know that's too low at the moment, so spare me the comments. i'm going to purchase a 100hr block of multi. not sure if 100hrs multi is worth anything, but it's better than what i've got.

i just want to know when/where i should go from here. i really dislike instructing, but i'm willing to stick it out as long as i HAVE to. also, i am NOT going to shortchange my students by merely trying to build my time...not trying to teach them. i care deeply about what i'm doing. i enjoy seeing people learn. but i also enjoy flying. seems i never fly anymore. i just ride along and talk. am i more proficient from doing so? yes. i feel like a much better pilot than i was 300 hours ago. there is no doubt about that aspect. i just don't want to do it much more.

i'm sure this all doesn't make much sense. don't really know what i'm asking. i just need some advice. any advice. thanks in advance.

starvingcfi

When you become a UPS 767 Captain, what do you think will be part of your duties? One will be to train your co-pilot.

I think that being a teacher, makes a better individual whether it be flying or any other job. If you are not a good teacher, and voice that opinion, UPS may not hire you since you won't make a good captian.

I don't know UPS hiring reasoning, and I am just using this senerio as an example. My advise would be for you to learn to enjoy and to be good at teaching. The first reason, is you need the time and you will need alot more in this market to be competitive. So, make the best of the time you are gaining currently.

I can understand wanting to "get there quick" but you need to realize there are many pilots out there with tons more experience that have your same needs and wants. Many of them where CFI's in your shoes in the past. Take your time, build your time, fly safe, teach yourself to be a good teacher and work towards being competitive in todays (or tomorrows) market.

You don't really have enough hours to go to the regionals. Look into Airnet. that will be as close as you can get right now. Even for 135 you need a lot more time than that. I hate to tell you this, but you have to pay your dues.

Oh dear

I can sympathize with you.

I was an Instructor Pilot for two and one half years here in the states then I moved on to yet another Instructor Pilots position in Germany for a short, very brief time before I realized decent pay. But this was in the mid 1980’s mind you and the world was quite different from what you face today.

All I can offer you is a bit of motherly advice and a personal observation.

Chin up! It will be better soon.

If I were in your shoes I would hold out until the 1,000-hour mark at minimum before sacrificing flying for job hunting. Now this will not pre-empt the notion of someone handing you a job prior to that, obviously.

I understand your dislike of instructing. A good number of Instructors I have known did, but even if you cannot see it now the repetitive tasks and constant mental reinforcement that is taking place will come back to help you when you face your first airline interview. We call them murder boards, and if not properly prepared it can be…

Everyone has to pay their dues and I know you have heard that all before but, just consider this your payment and some day soon you will reflect back on this day and smile, from the flight deck of something must sexier and much faster.

Chin up!
Ladybug
:)

Keep instructing

Ladybug and Aero99 are both right on. There is a certain reinforcement benefit to be derived from teaching that will benefit you in the long run. One thing to remember about aeronautical knowledge is that it is perishable. It'll stay with you when you repeat it and review it. Remember the Law of Repetition from the FOI? I haven't flown in more than eight years, but I've surprised myself at how much I remember. It has to do in large measure with flight instruction.

As a more practical matter, you do not have enough hours to start applying to the regionals. While I'm sure that most of them are publishing mins at 1000 total-100-300 multi, the reality is most hire at way beyond the mins. They do so because they can get the applicants. You can start applying when you close in on 1000 total-100 multi, though I wouldn't be surprised if yesteryear's mins of 1500 total-500 multi and an ATP are the more competitive quals. Apply with much lower mins and your resume will be laughed right into the round file.

Sure, flying the airplane is fun. That's why we start flying. But, you have to be patient. We all have to be patient. You do have to pay dues. You'll find that it was worth it in the long run in terms of the knowledge and experience you gained. I don't mean you-know-what when I say "paying" dues!

Last edited:
many thanks

hey, thanks for the replies. i appreciate no one being rude. anonymity seems to bring out the worst in people. i suppose i will stick it out. just wasn't sure if there was a "loophole" out there that would allow me to move on sooner. thanks again.

STILL a starvingcfi

Hi StarvingCFI!

1. Conquer the GPS, TCAD, Wx RADAR, etc.
2. Go hang out at avionics shops until the techs try to apprentice you.
3. Raise your rates. Now you don't have to work as hard for the same dough.
4. Take a weekend off!

My rate for GPS IFR certification flights runs from $75-150 per hour depending on how many units need to be certified.

Then someone has to train the aircraft pilots on how to use the equipment. It takes 40 hours of use before most folks feel comfortable. Competency is around 5-10 hours on the ground and 5-10 hours in the air, in some very nicely equipped airplanes.

Specialize. It'll give you a new challenge. You are problem solving, not instructing. Get good and students will start seeking you out.

Fly SAFE!
JediNein

question is, when should i begin applying? i've got around 550 total with only 15-20 multi. i know that's too low

Do yourself a favor, save the $5000 on 100hrs of multi and put it toward your MEI. You've got a long way to go. I've been a CFI for over two years have 1700TT/224multi, and 4yr degree. I've applied to every 121 and 135 operator from coast to coast: NO RESPONSE. It's tough times right now, suck it up and build some time, beacause at least your still flying.

Latest resources

Back