• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Advice!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the input. I’m flying a Bandit (E-110) single pilot cargo. It’s a fun a/c and I do enjoy the work. As has been said, I am leaning towards being closer to family. I just wanted to get some thoughts to see if I had any gaps in my logic in terms of attaining my career goals.

Go for the 90 job

You will still be logging turbin PIC, just not as fast. And it does give you a chance for TJ time. But if a chance comes up to fly a jet leave the 90 job

Air Now by any chance? I use to do the M&T Bank shuttle(s) out of KBUF and use to see the Air Now crews quite often.

I probably would stay put, flying a 90 will get old after awhile. I always thought I was flying a "truck" when I in the 90. It all comes down to personal preference I guess so do what is going to make you happy.

Sounds like you enjoy your current gig so I surely would stay put.

I surely would not leave to go fly a 90 & 421. Maybe if you could get into a jet then it would be worth it but that is not the case.

It would be an easy choice if it were I, stay put. The proposed move really isn't going to do much with regards to career advancement or making yourself more "marketable".

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
It would be an easy choice if it were I, stay put. The proposed move really isn't going to do much with regards to career advancement or making yourself more "marketable".
i disagree. he wants to get into the corporate side and will make a whole lot more contacts flying that King Air into FBO's during the daylight than that 110 into the cargo side at O-dark-30.

JetBlast2000 said:
I’ve got the option to fly a King Air (I think a 90B) part 91 about 200-400 hrs/yr. Salary would be more than my present job and better lifestyle.
add to that the higher salary and better lifestyle...id be all over it.

350DRIVER said:
Maybe if you could get into a jet then it would be worth it but that is not the case.
dam, are we not reading the same thread or what :confused:

JetBlast2000 said:
I should also add that the company with the 421 has 3 other jet aircraft, which I might get a chance to fly if they need another full time pilot in the future.

Last edited:
My ultimate career goal is to fly corporate. I’m flying turbine equipment now. I should also add that the company with the 421 has 3 other jet aircraft, which I might get a chance to fly if they need another full time pilot in the future. So at best it would be a lateral move in the short term.
"Might" and "If" are the keywords wingnutt. I cannot recall how many times that I heard those two words during my time flying 135/91. This is certainly no "given" that he will be able to transition into the jet side of the operation. If he does choose to go this route then I wish him the best. If it were me however I would not jump at a 90/421 gig with the "hope" and "maybe" of flying jet aircraft at some point down the line.

whatever floats your boat I guess.

i disagree. he wants to get into the corporate side and will make a whole lot more contacts flying that King Air into FBO's during the daylight than that 110 into the cargo side at O-dark-30.
I can agree with you to a certain extent but what he is doing now certainly would not be viewed as a "negative" by any future company. Single pilot 135 is very good experience. Making calls, networking, getting contacts, etc, can still be had by doing what he is doing now.

It basically comes down to personal preference, you would take it and I wouldn't, simple as that.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
"Might" and "If" are the keywords wingnutt.
ah, on this i can agree ;)

350DRIVER said:
I can agree with you to a certain extent but what he is doing now certainly would not be viewed as a "negative" by any future company.
hehe, far be it for me to tell a freight pilot to go elsewhere, as thats how i started in this messed up business. but then again, everyone i interviewed at when getting out of cargo, the first question was, do you have any experience with passengers?

...either way, at least hes got options :D

wingnutt said:
ah, on this i can agree ;)

hehe, far be it for me to tell a freight pilot to go elsewhere, as thats how i started in this messed up business. but then again, everyone i interviewed at when getting out of cargo, the first question was, do you have any experience with passengers?

...either way, at least hes got options :D
I agree with you about the transition from the cargo side to the pax side of the business. This point and potential area of concern is a valid one. I think it would probably come down to how well this individual interacts with others and how well he does in a 2 crew environment. The majority of folks that I have met have had no problem(s) in making this transition.

On somewhat of an ironic side note there was a female US Airways Bus captain/check airwoman who had her first interview with FedEx last week apparently. Talk about having to literally start over from the bottom up, ouch !!.

3 5 0

135 Bandit Time v. 91 C90 Time

The only caveat might be that multi 135 turbine time does not grow on trees. You should factor that against your long-term plans. Of course, you are still getting multi turbine time in the KingAir. More money is always nice, but you need to determine if the expensive cost-of-living in Southern Cal will gobble up your raise.

Having said all that and considering that corporate is your goal, I would likely opt for the new job.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Latest resources

Back