Cape Air???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jamesslally

Just wondering if anyone has any info on Cape Air? Pay, bennies, schedule, interview process, flight hours per month or anything else you might know. Also do they have jumpseat agreements with any carriers?
Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Jim

I'M ONE OF THE SENIOR PILOTS AT CAPE AIR. BEEN HERE FOR FIVE YEARS. ONLY 402 C MODS. ALWAYS TALK ABOUT TURBINE STOCK. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

BENNIES ARE OK. 401K, INSURANCE, JUNIOR SCHEDULES CAN BE A PAIN. A LOT OF WHAT IS TERMED BACKUP SCHEDULES, MEANING, THERE IS NO SCHEDULE FOR YOU. SOME VERY LONG DAYS, 14 HOURS IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.
FLYING CAN GET INTERESTING HERE AS WELL. HYA ACK 14 MIN. FLT. YOU VAN DO AS MANY AS 24 LEGS A DAY IN THE SUMMER.
NO AIR CONDITIONING IN THE PLANES.

WINTER SCHEDULE MAY CALL FOR SHORT TIME PILOTS TO BID FLA BASES OR CARIB BASES. DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU END UP ON THE SENIORITY LIST.

MONEY IS NOT BAD. FIRST YEAR IS 12.50/HOUR DUTY TIME. ABOUT 26000.00 FIRST YEAR.

INTERVIEW IS NOT ROUGH, YOU WILL TALK TO THE CHIEF PILOT OR D/O, OR THE DIR. OF TRAINING. ALL GREAT GUYS. SIM CHECH IS ROUTINE. DIR. VOR HOLD STEEP TURNS ILS. NOTHING IS HIDDEN.

YOUR INST. SKILLS HAVE TO BE FIRST RATE, THE WEATHER UP HERE SUCKS. FOG LIKE NO WHERE ELSE ON THE PLANET.
YOU WILL LOVE THE ACK 1/4. 1800RVR SINGLE PILOT. NO ROOM TO SCREW UP.

AND FINALLY YES WE HAVE SOME OF THE BEST JUMPSEAT TRAVEL BENNIES AROUND. AA, UNITED, FRONTIER, CONT. USAIR,ETC.

OVER ALL GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH SUPERIOR PILOTS WHO GET LESS CREDIT THAN THEY DESERVE FROM THE INDUSTRY.
BUT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK.

GOOD LUCK

Any info about hiring status?
And ,How is leaving in Hyanis (apart lease ,and living expenses)?
Thank you in advance!

THE LIVING HERE ON CAPE COD IS WHAT YOU WANT TO MAKE OF IT. IF YOUR'E INTO BOATING BEACHES MAYBE FISHING IT'S NOT TO BAD. IT IS **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** WELL A VERY EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE. IT CAN BE HARD TO GET A PLACE TO LIVE. SOME PEOPLE GET HERE BEFORE THE SUMMER SEASON STARTS AND ARE OK GETTING AN APARTMENT OR A ROOM. IF YOU GET HERE AFTER SAY MAY FIRST, YOUR'E SCREWED. THE COMUTE FROM OFF CAPE IS NOT VERY REALISTIC, THE TRAFFIC IS BAD.

I HAVE NOT REALLY HAD A REALLY BAD TIME WITH LIVING ARANGEMENTS, I HAVE BEEN LUCKY. EXCEPT FOR THE FIST WINTER AT CAPE AIR I WENT TO KEY WEST. DON'T CARE TO RELIVE THAT.

GET A CHANCE TO COME UP HERE AND CHECK IT OUT, DO IT.
YOU MAY SAY JUST THE TICKET. LOOK AROUND TALK TO SOME OF THE PILOTS THAT HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A BIT AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY. WHAT YOU WILL FIND IS THAT WE HAVE KIND OF A SINGULAR TYPE OF AIRLINE HERE.
THERE ARE SOME REAL GOOD PEOPLE IN THE TRENCHES, SOME YOU'LL FIND VERY WARM AND EASY TO GET ALONG WITH, AND SOME LIKE ME ARE NOT THE EASYEST TO BE AROUND.

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. WHAT YOU THINK.

TAKE CARE

Thank you Bill for your info, you didn t mention anything about the current hiring status at Cape air, let me know if they have any hiring coming in the next months.
I really appreciate your help,thanks again!
I might come up there to have a better idea.
Mic

MIC, SORRY NO IDEA ABOUT PLANS FOR STAFFING THIS YEAR.
TRY CALLING 508-790-3122, ASK FOR STEVE PHILLIPS CHIEF PILOT, DAVID O'CONNOR, DIR. OF TRAINING.

THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU THE SKINNY.

I DO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SOME GROUND SCHOOLS PLANNED BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE FILLED.

IT MAY ALSO DEPEND ON WHAT THE MARKET PROJECTIONS ARE FOR THE SUMMER AND THIS FALL.

GOOD LUCK

redsox vs. cubs in 2002

are all the flights operated as single pilot? do you get paided by the duty hour then and not by flight hour?? 26,000 k is better then most regionals pay 1st year at 22 per flight hour that is..does it help to get hired if your a REDSOX FAN? J/K.

redsoxfan

All flights are operated single pilot. The only exception is if the auto-pilot is inop during IFR ops then a SIC is required which rarely happens. The pay is per duty hour and not flight hour. In the summer you can make pretty good money in the NE area. Same for the Caribbean in the winter. The pay issue is a sore subject with many of the pilots right now. Overall, it is a very good company to work for. Excellent jump seat and pass bennies. You'll get some awesome weather experience and many approaches to mins. Not uncommon to do 12-14 approaches in 1800 RVR. The above names and numbers that Bill posted are good start if you're interested. I believe they are hiring 8 in April and 8 in May.

Good luck!

All of the information LaHaye posted (including the fact that he is a crusty old dude) is pretty much what I experienced there. I think Cape Air is a great organization with outstanding people. I have fond memories of the place and had I wanted to live in New England (especially in the winter), I would have stayed until they fired me.

It is imporant to remember what he said about the cost of housing. In season, people of the Cape are dedicated to separating you from your money as quickly as possible. You can rent lodging for the summer months for X dollars and get the next six months for about $10 more.

It is a great place to be for awhile, and I think a lot of people end up there longer than they planned because it is a good organization and the work kind of gets hypnotic. But you must remember that there is a limit to how much you can get paid for flying a Cessna 402C. I think a lot of Cape Air pilots who have been there for a couple of years expect the raises to keep on coming and become disgruntled when they max out on the pay scale. So either plan on a lot of OT or have a spouse with a generous income.

Bottom line: you can fly bigger and faster airplanes, but you probably won't find a better group of people to work with than at Cape Air!

Latest resources

Back