Cancelling IFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Canel IFR

We routinely cancel IFR if we hear someone else only the ground and we can help them out. Our ops-specs give us a lot of freedom on what we can do VFR, especially in Southeast.
I'm sorry to hear that some guys are getting the clearance early and blocking the airspace. Generally, I get my clearance after the before start check list AND after the F/A's have called and asked permission to close the door (meaning that we are done loading).
I am also talking to FSS and local traffic. I also call any back taxi, position and hold and when clear of the runway. It sounds like some of you have run into a few guys who have gotten lazy on the radio.... sorry.

It's pretty complicated actually

VFR ops in the terminal area is in fact addressed in the 121 OpSpecs but the problem is that the language is complicated and sometimes open to interpretation (e.g. "terminal area") thus leaving gray areas...what else is new?:rolleyes:

But here's a brief summary and a rule of thumb to help keep you safe and legal.

First of all, it's not good enough to have Severe Clear. True, you need basic VFR wx and *must* maintain VFR cloud clearances per Part 91, but c'mon, for most of us cancelling IFR with less than 5000 and 5 is tantamount to scud running.

Here's the deal: At a towered airport you must be within 10 miles of the airport, remain in controlled airspace the entire time, receive radar advisories if available and traffic advisories from tower. No biggie, right?

At a non-tower airport you must have the landing surface in sight, remain in controlled airspace, and receive traffic advisories from an *approved ground based source* (e.g. FSS or company radio when that person is trained to provide traffic advisories).

As a general rule of thumb: If you're within 10 miles of the airport, can remain in VFR conditions, are receiving traffic advisories from ATC or some other approved means, and remain in controlled airspace the whole time, then you may cancel IFR.

Like I said, this is general information and open to interpretation. Some people have different ideas as to what exactly constitutes the "terminal area" or who exactly is approved to provide "traffic advisories" but my advice is: when in doubt, shoot the full approach because I'm paid by the hour.:cool:

Mar is correct in his statement that you must be within 10 to cancel IFR (though we can take a visual within 30) and have the landing surface in sight etc etc (at least according to my ops specs). However some of us also have ops specs that allow us to complete the entire flight under a company VFR flight plan. My point is that for every operation what you will be allowed to do or not do is different. Make sure that you are in compliance with your ops specs (and whatever part applies to you).

Saabslime,

Allegheny will take every opportunity to prove their light bulb is a little dimmer than others. We landed there once after shooting an approach to near mins and rolled clear then cancelled and they couldn't resist broadcasting a juvenile response over the frequency because they couldn't get their clearance until we cancelled of course. If you got an RA you should write it up.

I don't think you need to "write up" an RA. If you deviate due to the RA, notify ATC of the deviation and again when returning to normal business. Although the Allegheny cutting you off was unethical if he caused you to deviate, I don't see it as being illegal.
Maybe he had a hot date and didn't want to follow your slow a$$!! ;)

AK737FO,

Getting the clearance too early was the only thing I was whining about, I haven't seen any deficiencies in CTAF callouts. Generally, I've found you folks to be professional and courteous. Talk to you on the air.

Regards

Latest resources

Back