Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
ok, so the name of the game is PIC time, right? that's what the big airlines/freight guys are looking for, right? well, if i am a CFI, is the dual i give technically PIC for me since i'm teaching someone how to fly? what about being a multi-engine instructor? is the dual given there multi PIC? i have no idea how this system works yet.

cforst513 said:
ok, so the name of the game is PIC time, right? that's what the big airlines/freight guys are looking for, right? well, if i am a CFI, is the dual i give technically PIC for me since i'm teaching someone how to fly? what about being a multi-engine instructor? is the dual given there multi PIC? i have no idea how this system works yet.

PIC Turbine is what the big stuff is looking for. No one really cares about PIC time in pistons. And you normally log PIC turbine as captain of a company aircraft. But don't really worry about it, by the time you're ready to apply there will be no majors and all flying will be done by the regionals :).

As a CFI, the regs allow you to log all time spent giving dual as PIC as well. If you fly a piston single, you log it as total time, airplane SEL, dual given, and PIC. If you're flying a piston twin, it'd be logged as total time, airplane MEL, dual given, and PIC. All other conditions of flight can be logged as well, i.e. instrument, night, xcty, etc. etc. etc.

~wheelsup

thank you, sir/madam, for that explanation. clears a lot up!!!

Live Smartpref overated?

Nevets, even your scheduling guru admits that things change at the last minute now and that there are lots of things to iron out. Here in his own words on this issue that has popped up.

Quote from Steve on the Pipe regarding the OP issue:

And especially when people start calling 2 hours before the bid closes to learn how to put a bid in. I was literally on the phone trying to help people get their bid in just minutes before it closed. When top people do this is changes the results for everyone. But what was I going to do...tell them to go screw? We need to understand that setting up a bid in this system is the most important thing you can do. I'd say the majority of people we talked to over the last 2 days didn't even read the blastmail that went out over the weekend telling you how important it was to place trip preferences. We also asked to make sure you went into smartpref and chose a reserve line if you bid that way in adopt. The bids in adopt weren't posted until 11am. So at that point we had to go in and change almost a dozen peoples bid from either the default or what they had and put them on reserve so that junior bidders would receive a line. Often time people looked at their lines and said, yup...thats ok...but since those changes were going on the system was actually able to BETTER honor what you asked it for. However it just looked different. It may have moved things around and even added trips but more often than not it was a better award based on the bid. The weak link here is are the bids. We need to teach people better and we need to set up the bids earlier and just set it and forget it. If you set up a good bid there is no reason to keep changing it because it's already bidding the trips you want even if people senior to you already "own" them.

I'm not saying it's perfect....FAR from it! We got a lot of work to do and lots of questions that need to be answered. But at the end of the day I'd much rather be learning about this here and now instead of in a full pbs. (which would honestly work a heck of a lot better than phase II does). We also need to keep our expectations where they should be. This is only meant to replace crew planning. You may have gotten a better line some months with planners. But in 8 years as chairman I've never once gotten and email telling me how great planning built their relief line. I get about a dozen a month asking how the F they could be build a line as the number one guy working all weekends when their junior crashpad buddy is getting them all off. If we put that in perspective I think we're still doing better. There is still a lot of work left to do however.

Steve McKnight

And here is the post you left out.

I will say that today we had a little bit more change than we would have like right at the end, and it's not so much last minute bidding related as it is test environment related:

Because we were still running this as a parallel test, we had to make SmartPref award what AdOpt showed in the bid packs. That's why we built exactly the same number of relief lines as AdOpt did. But we also had to make sure that the people who were awarded Relief Lines in AdOpt were also awarded them in SmartPref. Especially in CLE, we had a whole bunch of people who bid back to reserve, but never put that bid into SmartPref.

Unfortunately, we couldn't tell what people's AdOpt bid was until bidding closed and the AdOpt lines were awarded this morning. Normally it takes an hour or less to have the final awards ready, which would have allowed us to have those people "Opt Out" at least an hour before bidding closed. AdOpt took FOREVER this morning. I was sitting in crew planning and we literally got the award at 11:30. When all of a sudden some bidders are no longer participating, it's going to change the award a little bit. I can say that if we operate SmartPref as a parallel test again next month, we will be moving the closing time back to reduce the chance of this recurring.

This had more to do with parallel bidding. With our current system of building relief lines, the company has to guess how many relief lines are going to be needed to cover whatever was left over after the ILIW closed. If that number of relief lines is not the same as what smartpref can build, and it probably never will be the same, they have to squeeze into smartpref, manually, whatever they published on the phase 2 bid pack.

Live Smartpref overated?

Here is a follow up post by the original poster on the crackpipe. Apparantly he would have liked to have had an ability to try a different strategy and apparantly he is being attacked for bringing this up in public. After all we can't let those evil ASA pilots see how bad our PBS system is working.

Follow up quote from OP:
"Why when anyone just wants to blow off some frustration, it comes back as like some attack. It's this simple your seeing one thing for some time and then whack something completely different. If I had any idea it was going to look like that I would have tried other options. That's all I'm saying. I emailed Steve, he can yell at me, everyone else can relax about what I should have done."​

And here is a previews post that you didn't repost:

I will say that today we had a little bit more change than we would have like right at the end, and it's not so much last minute bidding related as it is test environment related:

Because we were still running this as a parallel test, we had to make SmartPref award what AdOpt showed in the bid packs. That's why we built exactly the same number of relief lines as AdOpt did. But we also had to make sure that the people who were awarded Relief Lines in AdOpt were also awarded them in SmartPref. Especially in CLE, we had a whole bunch of people who bid back to reserve, but never put that bid into SmartPref.

Unfortunately, we couldn't tell what people's AdOpt bid was until bidding closed and the AdOpt lines were awarded this morning. Normally it takes an hour or less to have the final awards ready, which would have allowed us to have those people "Opt Out" at least an hour before bidding closed. AdOpt took FOREVER this morning. I was sitting in crew planning and we literally got the award at 11:30. When all of a sudden some bidders are no longer participating, it's going to change the award a little bit. I can say that if we operate SmartPref as a parallel test again next month, we will be moving the closing time back to reduce the chance of this recurring.

So it was more of a parallel bidding problem than a smartpref problem. The way they build relief lines is that the company guesses as to how many relief lines will be needed to cover the flying leftover after the ILIW closes. In this case, smartpref would've been able to build about 6 more lines than what the company estimated. But since those number of relief lines are already published in the phase 2 bid packs, they had to squeeze that amount of flying in the lines that smartpref built. This wouldn't have been as much of an issue if it was truly a live bid without the constraints of the company's guestimate they are required to make.

Live Smartpref overated?

Here is a follow up post by the original poster on the crackpipe. Apparantly he would have liked to have had an ability to try a different strategy and apparantly he is being attacked for bringing this up in public. After all we can't let those evil ASA pilots see how bad our PBS system is working.

Follow up quote from OP:
"Why when anyone just wants to blow off some frustration, it comes back as like some attack. It's this simple your seeing one thing for some time and then whack something completely different. If I had any idea it was going to look like that I would have tried other options. That's all I'm saying. I emailed Steve, he can yell at me, everyone else can relax about what I should have done."​

And here is a previews post that you didn't repost:

So it was more of a parallel bidding problem than a smartpref problem. The way they build relief lines is that the company guesses as to how many relief lines will be needed to cover the flying leftover after the ILIW closes. In this case, smartpref would've been able to build about 6 more lines than what the company estimated. But since those number of relief lines are already published in the phase 2 bid packs, they had to squeeze that amount of flying in the lines that smartpref built. This wouldn't have been as much of an issue if it was truly a live bid without the constraints of the company's guestimate they are required to make.

Latest resources

Back