Campervans in airport parking lots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboy26ok

I could not be the first pilot to wonder about this. I've been reading about these camper vans, or class b campers. They are the size of basic full size vans with most of the amenities of a larger camper, including a toilet, shower, cooking area, generator, and of course sleeping area. The coolest thing or so it seems is that you can park them (nearly) anywhere.

Aside from using it as normal people wood (Yosemite, Burning man), a pilot would obviously wonder how this would work as a crashpad at, say, the LAX or SFO parking lot. Anyone ever tried this? Any show stopping regs I should know about?

Since LAX has a lot specifically used for live-in campers, it wouldn't matter what style or camper size you decide to use. It might stand out a little if parked in the normal employee lot, and I don't know what their rules are.

Very airport-dependent as to whether or not it's feasible, in my limited experience. Last thing you'd want in the middle of the night would be to get rousted out by airport security.

"........and now I'm living in a van, down by the river!"

There's one in DTW I pass by every time I taxi in/out, only thing I'd worry about it hookups for power/water and where to dump. I know a lot of them have generators but that's still gas and fumes you have to deal with.

You wouldn't be the first for sure, might make sense in an expensive city

If you do it...just keep quiet and no one will ever notice. Start bragging and someone will find a reason why you can't

The alternative is what I did - buy a travel trailer and put it in an RV park near the airport. Hookups (water and electricity), and when the airline moves your domicile you just take it with you. I pay about $1000/year in lot rent.

Do like some of the pilots do in Hawaii, while flying for P.W........get a van with a mattress in it. Then get a gym membership for a place to shower. Problem solved........

You could always drive it to a Walmart parking lot. They're RV friendly and allow you to park there overnight.

Your biggest threat isn't the airport authority, but crime. I know of several airline employees that have been murdered in an RV, doing just as you seek to do. One was a mechanic in Charlotte, and I think there have been some in LA.

Latest resources

Back